Jessica Lynch Forums: Jessica Lynch Cannot Remember Her Capture - Jessica Lynch Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jessica Lynch Cannot Remember Her Capture according to news article

#1 Guest_Kicks_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 May 2003 - 09:14 AM

Rescued US prisoner of war Jessica Lynch cannot remember anything about her capture and days in captivity in Iraq, according to a Fox News report.
"She basically has amnesia, and has mentally blocked out the horrible things we strongly believe she went through," a US official told the network.

You can read the whole srticle at United Justice

#2 User is offline   Penny/Don 

• Pip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 04 May 2003 - 09:20 AM

Corresponds to what I was told by a member of her family. Much of what happened, she can't remember (we must also remember Jessica suffered a serious head wound).

Just another excellent why folks should chill (stop clamoring for pictures and interviews) and allow Jessica all the time she needs to recover....it may be a very long time before she's ready for a press conference or crowds of well wishers along a parade route. She was injured severely....and is very fortunate to be alive. It is a miracle....and I praise the Lord for it.

#3 User is offline   david_2000_13206 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2003 - 10:27 AM

A quote from the article:

"Psychiatrists and members of her military unit who survived the ambush in which she was captured have been brought in in an effort to help her recover her memory"

I wonder if this is the best idea? While it is important in terms of prosecuting war criminals, maybe Jessica would be better off not remembering things her own mind has spared her from. Anyone with a psychology background to share some knowledge about this?

Thanks.

#4 Guest_Kicks_*

Posted 04 May 2003 - 11:01 AM

My father was a POW during the Korean war. He too was captured at age 19 and was POW for 27 months. It wasn't until much later in his life that he started going to POW reunions. There he met other ex-POWs that were captured along with him. They were able to share their stories and together piece together those events that had been unresolved for so long. For many years some f my father's fellow POWs thought he was killed. By having the reunion those fears were put to rest. My father gained a great deal of closure. It was good threapy for him. I know what life was like for him prior to talking about his expierence and I saw a difference after he was able to start talking. Of course, he did have professional help.

I think the military has enough expierence wit these matters, are are more informed on the effects of imporisonment then they previously had. I can only hope and pray that they are doing what is best for Jessica. I'm sure her parents will have a say in how much analysis is done. They will protect her as much as possible.

I continue my prayers for Jessica. My thoughts are with her always.

#5 User is offline   juergen 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2003 - 11:18 AM

THe thing you have to think about is, what happens the day something triggers those memories. That wont be good. wacko.gif

#6 Guest_Signmaker_*

Posted 04 May 2003 - 11:35 AM

My father gained a great deal of closure. It was good threapy for him. I know what life was like for him prior to talking about his expierence and I saw a difference after he was able to start talking. Of course, he did have professional help.

Ditto, Greg. Whether Jessi wants to block these memories or not, they will come out in nightmares, behavior, fears, etc. It is the best time to address them, while she still has full access to the best medical care in the world. It will be hard but she's a tough little cookie and can do it. She also has tons of support, prayers, and good wishes every day...and that can't hurt.

#7 Guest_bg10_*

Posted 04 May 2003 - 11:45 AM

the source is here in Fox:
Sources Say Jessica Lynch Has Amnesia
NEW YORK — Rescued POW Jessica Lynch (search) says she can't remember anything about her time in captivity in Iraq -- a huge obstacle for military investigators who were hoping the 19-year-old soldier would be the key to revealing Iraqi war crimes, Fox News has learned.

at:http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,85936,00.html

#8 User is offline   Patricia 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2003 - 12:12 PM

That's the problem. "Triggers". Happens to all of usin a sense. Most are happy.(The smell of passing by honeysuckles brings back a memory of youth, or better days for some. NOT remembering is not a good thing. It will come back in time. Even if in little snips.As with any problem,..first you have to remember and admit it.DO NOT just blow it off. The mind is an amazing "MACHINE".I've done it. Tried to just blow thing off. Joke about it. But deep inside,...the mind knows all. In time, it may find it's own way to deal with it.(Trauma) For me, it was through severe panic attacts. To the point I thought I was really gonna die. And it's not cool going through that on a daily basis.
It has to be dealt with,first and foremost. Sadly, you have to go through a lot of pain first, in order to get better.
For those of you that may be "questioning" my knowledge" of this.
I was abused(physically) as a child. Spent some time in foster homes. And for the most part, I'm a clown. I joke about anything and everything. It was my defense. How to avoid it.
One day in 1995 I was laying on the floor, wating a Giant game, And it JUST HIT. Out of no where. It was like going from stone-cold sober, to being WHACKED in a heartbeat.I thought I was gonna die.Like I said,it will find it's own form of getting out. But it can take many forms.That's just one.
I'm sure she has the very best of help. These people are not stupid. They will actually make her remember.IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO DEAL WITH IT.
But I also know that she will be fine. I just know it.Yes, she may have a long and winding road ahead.She has the very best of everything at her disposal. And she has her parents.And her upbringing.For some reason, people from the south, have a very REAL way of looking at things.I know this sounds,....well,...not right. But that's what I have found.And I have al the faith in the world that this kid will get through this.She is YOUNG, She has SPUNK,and she is BRIGHT. She will make sure she is fine.NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.
As Kicks said, it's closure.And there is only one way to get there.

#9 User is offline   david_2000_13206 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2003 - 12:26 PM

Military investigators must already have a good deal of information. They have recovered all of the POWs and the bodies of all of the MIAs. They should be able to draw some conclusions from the bodies of those killed, especially whether the injuries that caused their deaths are consistent with being killed in combat or executed after capture. They should also be able to figure something out from Jessica Lynch's injuries. The type of broken bones from a truck rolling over are surely different than those from being beaten and tortured. So private Lynch's memory may be important mostly to identify war criminals, as they probably have a pretty good idea if ther were war crimes or not. So, is this that important to pursue? It was Fedayeen who ambushed the 507th. Are there many of them left alive? If so, they probably will not stay that way for long. The Fedayeen are well known in Iraq, since they were the tormentors of the Iraqi people. I think leaving them to the justice they will get at the hands of those they tortured and killed for years will be a fitting end for what is left of them.

#10 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2003 - 02:18 PM

Part of the Fedayeen uniform consisted of a mask, ph34r.gif , so it is unlikely that Iraqi's themselves will be able to identify them. They'll be hiding in the woodwork for a long time to come.

#11 User is offline   moonlight0201 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2003 - 03:05 PM

It is better for her that way because if she remembered it she would remember watching her friends die before her eyes. If she did not remember anything right now of it -- it would help for her recovery, but that is the hardest thing to remember when she does remember everything that happened. Then that is when the real horror kicks in of what happened, the nightmares might end up coming before she even realizes that they are coming. But for a good birthday present for her was giving Mohammed a job in D.C.
I'd love to see him get his citizen papers to be a permenant resident of the states because as far as I am concerned he is American for what bravery he gave in saving her. I hope she would remain in touch with him and his family for that.

#12 User is offline   moonlight0201 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2003 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (milemark @ May 4 2003, 12:26 PM)
Military investigators must already have a good deal of information. They have recovered all of the POWs and the bodies of all of the MIAs. They should be able to draw some conclusions from the bodies of those killed, especially whether the injuries that caused their deaths are consistent with being killed in combat or executed after capture. They should also be able to figure something out from Jessica Lynch's injuries. The type of broken bones from a truck rolling over are surely different than those from being beaten and tortured. So private Lynch's memory may be important mostly to identify war criminals, as they probably have a pretty good idea if ther were war crimes or not. So, is this that important to pursue? It was Fedayeen who ambushed the 507th. Are there many of them left alive? If so, they probably will not stay that way for long. The Fedayeen are well known in Iraq, since they were the tormentors of the Iraqi people. I think leaving them to the justice they will get at the hands of those they tortured and killed for years will be a fitting end for what is left of them.

sort of like as poetic justice like how Italian dictactor saw his end -- the Italian people were going after both him and his girlfriend in the last days of WWII. I see them as their end like what they did to Musolini. For now, it might be a good thing that she does not have memory of everything of how it happened -- it would help for her recovery for the most part, once the physical wounds heal they could work on the psychological.

#13 User is offline   iron-bound 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2003 - 03:22 PM

This is not a good thing. But as her brother said a few days after her rescue, it was to be expected.

Sooner or later, these memories will be awakened, they will hit Jessica like a ton of bricks, and it will be the most difficult time of her life.

Even so, they need to be brought to the surface. Not only to help Jessica cope emotionally with her ordeal, but also to give justice to the 9 that didn't survive. Maybe the Iraqis responsible for Jessica's mistreatment are already dead, but the government still needs to know what happened.

It appears that Jessica is still in poor shape physically, emotionally, and mentally, but she's alive, and we can all thank God for that.

#14 User is offline   moine 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2003 - 03:49 PM

The loss of memory can be the mind's way of blocking out overwhelming stress caused by trauma.

It's how children and adults deal with the urgent need to survive abuse or events like serious accidents. But the mind doesn't really forget unless there was physical damage to the brain as well.

As Kicks pointed out, the sense of closure alone is a great healing of the soul. Zacci1's story is a prime example of what can happen with supressed memories as well if left untreated.

I have friends who don't remember their childhoods. I mean large blocks of times in terms of years. That happened because of abuse by the adults of the family and is a classic problem for most abuse victims. Even adults suffer this problem - I'm just barely remembering some parts of my marriage now seven years after the separation and divorce, and I wish I had dealt with them sooner.

It may take Lynch years to remember anything if at all. But the sooner she gets the professional help, the better equipped she'll be to get the closure she needs.

#15 Guest_LesterB_*

Posted 04 May 2003 - 04:16 PM

I really think that getting her out of that hospital and back home may do wonders in helping her to remember. I say this thinking that here she was held captive in one hospital and now under constant protective guard in another. Now odiously the whole situation is different but is it to the subconscious mind trying to suppress these memories?? I don’t know…just food for thought…

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users