• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Miss Lynch Meets Pres. Bush

#16 User is offline   Dilligafst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:14 AM

Kicks: Are you sure Ruben gets out on the 29th? Just curious. I have friends that were supposed to get out of the guard, (including one that is currently over in Iraq, whose tour was "involuntarily extended") and they have now been told that they cannot get out until further notice and many of them are now going over to Iraq for the next eighteen months. Hope that you are right, though. It would be interesting to see how he handles Jessica's well-deserved fame and celebrityhood (for lack of a better word) and her outstarring the stars:)

Hope you're right, though. Thanx much.

#17 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:15 PM

I know that I had read last year that he was getting out in August of 2004 . I hope that's true Kicks. I had the same feeling about the extended duty. I also know of a relative that was in the same situation that Dillagafst mentioned. That's great if that's the case for Ruben.

#18 User is offline   Kicks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:36 PM

Kicks: Are you sure Ruben gets out on the 29th?

I doubled checked my email and my source says he "gets out on the 29th of June and that's when he begins his terminal leave". I took it to that mean that he is out of the Army. Does "terminal leave" mean something else?

dry.gif

#19 User is offline   Soprano84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Kicks @ Jun 24 2004, 05:38 PM)
Kicks: Are you sure Ruben gets out on the 29th?

I doubled checked my email and my source says he "gets out on the 29th of June and that's when he begins his terminal leave". I took it to that mean that he is out of the Army. Does "terminal leave" mean something else?

dry.gif

Terminal Leave means he has days of leave on the record (unless it's changed you accrue thyem at the rate of 2 days per month). When you discharge you have the option of taking the leave time (which is what he's doing) -- basically taking a vacation immediately prior to discharge, or simply cash the days out and discharge immediately.

When I tranaferred from the active Af to the Guard I chose to cash out...I wanted to get out of cold NY State and back to sunny SoCal right away!

#20 User is offline   mainzman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:14 PM

I hope Ruben doesn't get caught up in the Army's "Stop Loss" program. I hear it's for soldiers whos units are scheduled to go to Iraq/Afghanistan or are already there. I knew a friemd who got involuntarily extened during Desert Storm in 1991 through "Stop Loss" and he wasn't very happy about it. He told me it ended up turning a relatively positive Army experience into a unhappy experience.

Then again, if your in the military, your "their" property and they can pretty much do what they want with you. Ever heard of the term "G.I."?, which stands for Government Issue! That's basically what the Army considers you when you join their ranks!

#21 User is offline   ticker 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:13 AM

From what I've read, "Stop Loss" affects soldiers whose enlistment ends within 90 days of their unit's scheduled deployment overseas. They would be retained untill the end of the deployment plus up to an additional 90 days. So, if one is stop-lossed and their last day is exactly 90 days before their unit is scheduled to deploy, they could get an extra year and a half, plus any extension such as has happened to many units in Iraq recently.

The Army can't like having to do this, they know that it damages morale, recruitment and retention. Yes, I know it helps retention short term by preventing soldiers from leaving, but what about soldiers planning to re-enlist who change their minds because they might be forced to stay on when they do decide to leave?

It looks to me like a last resort emergency measure that they are being forced to implement because the Army is just too short of manpower for all that it is being asked to do.

#22 User is offline   jessefan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:53 AM

Ever heard of the term "G.I."?, which stands for Government Issue! That's basically what the Army considers you when you join their ranks!

I have heard that "GI" started during WWII in the Pacific. When Gen. MacArthur heard the expression he got very offended and wanted to have it stopped. But then he was told the enlisted men had spontanously started using that term themselves and hadn't originated with the officers. In WWI the expression was "Doughboys" (why? I don't know). In Vietnam, they were "grunts." Very likely, our soldiers will pick a new expression this time out.

#23 User is offline   mainzman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2004 - 12:39 PM

I think the term DOUGHBOYS comes mainly from WWI as it referrs to soldiers.

Any military historians here? Where does the term Doughboys come from and what does it mean.

#24 User is offline   Kicks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:47 AM

Where does the term Doughboys come from and what does it mean.

'Doughboys' was the nickname given to the American Expeditionary Force that took part in the later years of World War One. Before this decisive US involvement the colloquialism had applied only to infantryman, but at some point between April 1917 and November 1918 the word expanded to include the whole American armed forces. The term was not used in a derogatory sense, and is present in the diaries and letters of US serviceman, as well as newspapers.

'Doughboy' was also the nickname of an inanimate object, a form of flour based dumpling that partly developed into the doughnut, and was in use by the late eighteenth century.

#25 User is offline   Soprano84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Kicks @ Jun 30 2004, 09:49 AM)
Where does the term Doughboys come from and what does it mean.

'Doughboys' was the nickname given to the American Expeditionary Force that took part in the later years of World War One. Before this decisive US involvement the colloquialism had applied only to infantryman, but at some point between April 1917 and November 1918 the word expanded to include the whole American armed forces. The term was not used in a derogatory sense, and is present in the diaries and letters of US serviceman, as well as newspapers.

'Doughboy' was also the nickname of an inanimate object, a form of flour based dumpling that partly developed into the doughnut, and was in use by the late eighteenth century.

Nice, Kicks....but WHY was the term applied to American forces? I know why Brits are caled Limeys -- British sailors would eat citris fruits -- limes most frequently -- to prevent scurvy. hence the term.

#26 User is offline   Kicks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:22 PM

WHY was the term applied to American forces?

The actual origin of the term 'Doughboy' is still debated within both US historical and military circles, but it dates back to at least the American-Mexican War of 1846-7; an excellent summary of the theories can be found at this website:
http://europeanhistory.about.com/gi/dynami...bc/origindb.htm
However, when US serviceman returned to Europe en masse during the Second World War, the term doughboy had vanished: these soldiers were now GI's.

Doughboy defined: “By 1917 - long been known among old soldiers in the regular army - only applied to infantrymen - various attempts have been made to track it down but all of these Sherlock Holmes deductions have so far failed.� Carty Ranck, 1925, The Doughboy’s Book. See: http://www.libertymemorialmuseum.org/FileU...20Doughboys.doc

#27 User is offline   Signmaker 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:48 AM

According to this site,

"The origin of the word doughboy actually began during the American Civil War. The buttons on Union uniforms were said to resemble biscuits, hence the term doughboy. For some reason, it did not come into common usage until WWI.
Citation: Smith, David P. "World War I Pagers - Terms." AAC World History Message Board. America Online (Electronic Communication Network). Vienna, VA: AOL, 1996."

WWI: FAQ

#28 User is offline   Kicks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:11 PM

Emil sent me this email:

Posted this at 10:00 this morning. If it doesn't show up, maybe you can post it.

According to this site,

"The origin of the word doughboy actually began during the American Civil War. The buttons on Union uniforms were said to resemble biscuits, hence the term doughboy. For some reason, it did not come into common usage until WWI.
Citation: Smith, David P. "World War I Pagers - Terms." AAC World History Message Board. America Online (Electronic Communication Network). Vienna, VA: AOL, 1996."

#29 User is offline   ANDY 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2004 - 05:42 AM

Soprano, I did notice the awkward she was standing as well.If I remember rightly the photo of her walking with Diane Sawyer,her right foot was at an awkward angle then.I think that her right foot may still be giving her problems.

#30 User is offline   ANDY 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:24 AM

I am always surprised at how small Jessica looks in most of her photos.Yet in the photos when she is with her family she looks taller than her mother and sister and roughly the same height as her father.Maybe the Lynches are just a small family!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users