Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Everyone Is A Hero? Give me a break!!!

#1 User is offline   pingersgal 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 June 2003 - 07:55 AM

I am so humored at the talk of some of these people that posts on this forum. They say Jessica is there hero, but, not to get excited, everyone is!

What is the message that is being delivered here? Are you afraid that, while on Jessica-Lynch.com you will come across as too obsessed by this story? Afraid that someone may label you as a somebody that is trying to get Jessica's attention?

Look, the way I see it you are on Jessica's turf. To say that she is a hero, but every other soldier that has ever fought is a hero too, is a bit ludicrous for me. Go ahead and admit that you are, like the rest of us, fascinated with the Jessica Lynch story. Which is, by a quick recollection:
- Young female captured
- She is rescued
- She is a victim of a mistake that should not have happened with todays
technology
- She survived what I believe was intended to be a slow, torturous, painful
death
- She was masterfully rescued by the best soldiers the world has to offer
- She was beautiful, like a rose in a thunderstorm, while she was being
rescued. Poised so delicately, so vulnerable, yet as strong and determined
as anything our eyes have seen !
- Her brother was a great spokesperson that represented each of us so well.
- Her father, torn at the seams of the heart, yet with the strength only a
man can have he confronts the world. He represents fathers so well.
- Her Mother, oh the Mother of a daughter that has been treated less than
as a queen. The pain, humility, strength. God Bless our loving Mothers!!
- Her community, unabashed representatives of the Christian, celebrate
because one of their own survived, and their God is glorified.
- The media attention, good and bad, has given her what apparently is world
wide name recognition. Whether they use Jessica, Lynch, or Jessica Lynch,
everyone knows it is Jessica.
- Her reasons for joining the military, the dreams, travel, education, see and
experience the world. Somethng that many of us can share.
- Our hearts are out to her because our imagination has revealed a terrible
torture to this petite person.
- She represents a woman, yes; an American, yes; Christian, yes; soldier,
absolutely!!!

So you see, though we have not heard her voice since her capture, and she has not uttered a word that we could hear, her story is what makes her so great. She is the character in the story. She is our hero because we have elected to put her on that pedestal.

I am somewhat bewildered when you say, yeah, but everyone shares that platform with her. Every soldier, or everybody who ever dreamed, or whatever it is that it takes for you to put someone on hero status in your life.

Please, don't be reluctant to say how you are fascinated with Jessica. Don't discount it by spreading it over a vast majority of people. I am proud of Jessica, and proud of her show of strength that some humans have toward life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

God Bless You!!

#2 User is offline   Patricia 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:44 AM

RANDOLPH
You're just not all that bright, are ya son??
We make no bones at all that we love Jessi. For many reasons. Be it,..that she survived an ordeal that most of us here feel would have buried us.That we know that we have crumpled under things that are so far less than what this kid has gone through.That we just WISH that we could be so strong.
And yes,..we are taken by the whole " small town, mountain/country girl,hopefull school teacher, light hair, light eyes, very americana type kid.
Take into the consideration of the age of the majority of us here. Most are of the age that she could be our daughter, if not or grand-daughter. And the rest is "sister-like". Of course we love the kid. Hell, we see our niece, nephew, child of our good friend hurt themselves,...and we cringe at that!Is it such a stretch to imagine the impact THIS has on us?
AND YES, we appreciate the others. Not out of guilt...to cover our tracks..."so people don't get the wrong idea".No!! Not at all!!! We have seen what this kid has gone through. And we are smart enough to realize that it could have been ANYBODY that is now serving our country. THAT"S why we praise, and thank them also!!They are putting themselves in harms way, not just to better THIS country,..but to better the WORLD.
Do you not have a greater appreciation for the fire fighters and policemen of this country since 9/11??? Not just the ones that lost their lives on that day,...but for all that were, is, and will be??
Do you admire athletes more??? Go 'head...praise Mike. I'll take a Paul O'Neill who says,..."I'm nothing important. The man who picks up your garbage twice a week is more important than I am".Why?? He can see the whole scope. Which obviously, you cannot.

#3 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2003 - 02:32 PM

To say that she is a hero, but every other soldier that has ever fought is a hero too, is a bit ludicrous for me.

Randy, I sort of hear what you are trying to say. I think you're saying that we are somehow diluting the honor we are paying Pvt. Lynch by saying that all our service members are heroes.

First, every service person who has ever FOUGHT is a hero, because they risked the possibililty of being maimed for life, or killed. Even primative tribes know that and especially honor their warriors for that.

In the past, you may have, sort of, been right that not every person puts on the uniform of a servicemember was a hero. In past, we were not at war with anybody, and a person could conceivably have joined a service for the benefits and stayed in the States, not coming to any harm.

That was then. This is now. Now we have a global war on terror, both domestic and foreign. Since these terrorists have the attackers advantage of knowing where and when they will strike when we don't, it DOES mean that EVERY person who puts on the uniform of a servicemember is a HERO, no matter where in the world they are. Every uniformed service member is now under the imminent threat of being maimed for life, or killed, because they each represent a symbol of the United States of America that these thugs would want to attack. That makes them all heroes.

But yes, you are right in that someone who goes directly into battle has a greater degree of heroism than someone who doesn't. I think we should think of the would 'hero' like we use the word 'general'. There are Brigidier Generals. There are Major Generals. There are Lt. Generals, and there are Generals. In short form we sometimes identify them as 'General so-and-so', even if they have a lesser generals rank than a full four-star general. Heroism can be like that. Alot of us here believe that Pvt. Lynch's heroism is of the four-star variety because we know in our hearts that WE could not have survived what she did, and that she specifically wrote that she was going over there to defend US. We therefore give her a full warriors honor even if she didn't kill a single Iraqi. None of the other heroes we also value (in whatever degree) takes an iota of her honor away from her. Not in our eyes.

Yes, the fact that Pvt. Lynch was wounded in the line of duty, and came under severe threats to her life has indeed captivated my attention. As I have posted elsewhere, its because she strongly reminds me of somebody I knew and cared about. I believe that is the long and short of why a lot of people care about Pvt. Lynch. She just plain reminds everybody of somebody. (Even a Russian guy, for goodness sake!).

we have not heard her voice since her capture

Actually, while we haven't heard her voice, we have heard from her.
She said "I'm still the same Jessi." That makes us love her all the more, now that we know a little more about the full extent of her injuries.

#4 User is offline   papags46 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2003 - 02:33 PM

Yes, dude, everybody that serves our country is a hero. Is something wrong with that??? Yes, we are all fascinated by Jessica's story, because she is young and has shown lots of courage. There is no doubt that she is a hero just for dealing with her injuries. And that is possible only half of the story.

Like Zacc said, it could of been anybody. But it happened to be Jessica. She stood out because she was the first POW rescued from this war and she was a young woman. Anybody who puts their life on the life just to keep your and my butt warm is a hero. Oops!!! Do I sound a bit "ludricrous" for being proud of all of America's soldiers. Sheesh.

#5 User is offline   BigBoned 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2003 - 03:12 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Jeez, Randy,...What a card!!!! You actually ACTED like you've never been here before!!!Never read any of the past posts!!! Dude, Ya kill me!!!!
What a great sence of humor!!!
Like you were actually serious as to why we actually care!
Oh,you're a classic!! Either the brightest person to ever walk this earth,...or the stupidest!!!

#6 User is offline   Patricia 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2003 - 10:55 PM

Yeah, no shiite!!

#7 User is offline   perilousgirl 

• Pip

Posted 21 June 2003 - 09:53 PM

Randolf,

Latley I have tried to keep my cool about morons like you who discredit Jessica, and Dishoner her. Every American past and present service is a hero, especially those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. Service members are a hell of a lot more heros then any athlete will ever dream to be.
Maybe before you write someting again, you should go to Iraq behind front lines and get captured like Jessica did. To say that we are trying to get Jessica's atention is insulting not only to us but to Jessica.

Jessica and and every other past and preasent service membere are the greatest heros ever. They deserve a high social honer way above the athleates, the only heroism athleates provide is facing the other team. ( Don't get me wrong I love sports, but athleates are not heros, great entertainers yes but heros no) Thease people who you don't call heros, gave you your freedom and fight to keep it alive.

Shame on you for disrespecting Jessica and past and present service members, especialy those who gave their lives for our country!

#8 User is offline   gophergeorge 

• Pip

Posted 22 June 2003 - 08:07 AM

`

#9 Guest_mainzman_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 June 2003 - 10:07 AM

I have been a member of this web site for about a month or so. I read the topic started by Randy and his initial comments. But, I also read the remaining comments, most of those struck a nerve, be it a negative one, with the others in this forum. It seems like this is one of the more emotional and thought provoking topics started in this web site!

As we all know, this web site and forums was designed in Jessica's honor, for the Lynch Family, those serving out nation. The whole idea behind this web site is to allow people to express their thoughts and emotions. In this particular forum and some others, I have seen people who agree and disagree with what others say, and have shown some emotion in their comments. That's the REASON WHY THIS WEB SITE IS HERE!!

We care about Jessica, her family, community, and those men and woman who serve in uniform, whether it's military, police or fire department, and those who sense of bravery, dedication, and go the extra mile and show they care. We are truely fortunate to live in a country where we have the freedome to come to a web site like this to make comments and express our feelings.

The End.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users