Jessica Lynch Forums: Program Helps Marines Secure Jobs In Civilian Life - Jessica Lynch Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Program Helps Marines Secure Jobs In Civilian Life Marine For Life

#1 User is offline   Laracroft 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:15 AM

this sounds like a great program that can help marines wish the army had this kind of a program.............

they need tocover all USA. I hope they will be able one day.

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../NEWS/411160340

Program helps Marines secure jobs in civilian life

Salem man was hired just weeks after contacting Marine For Life

THOMAS PATTERSON | STATESMAN JOURNAL

In his job as a security guard for Beaverton-based First Response Inc., Jeff Knipe (right) makes sure that employees don't remove FedEx property from the Swan Island FedEx dropsite. Knipe got the job through the Marine For Life program, which provides transitional assistance to Marines who are returning to civilian life.

CAPI LYNN
Statesman Journal

November 16, 2004

Jeff Knipe was unemployed a couple of months ago when he came across a business card while unpacking.

On it was information about the Marine For Life program, which provides transition assistance to Marines who are returning to civilian life.

Knipe, who had been out of the Marine Corps for a year, figured he had nothing to lose, so he contacted the program.

Less than three weeks later, he was hired by a security company.

"It kind of took me off guard how fast it worked," the 25-year-old from Salem said. "I was kind of kicking myself in the butt. I should have done this when I first got out."

Knipe is one of hundreds of Marines who have benefited from the program, which was launched in 2001.

It expanded the following year to include Portland and the surrounding area, and today, Lt. Col. Mark White of Keizer is in charge of the local implementation.

White is one of about 80 "Hometown Links" nationwide who are assigned to put together networks of businesses, organizations and individuals who are willing to help Marines make a smooth transition.

The Marine For Life program is touted as the only one of its kind among the military branches.

"Everybody has assistance programs, but we're unique," White said. "Nobody does this. We go that extra step."

Knipe can vouch for that.

He filled out a questionnaire on the program's Web site and within days was contacted by White.

As a former infantryman, Knipe was a natural candidate for a job in the security field. He served three months in Iraq and was a member of the platoon that provided perimeter security during the Jessica Lynch rescue mission.

White referred Knipe to First Response Inc., and the Beaverton-based security company brought him in for an interview and eventually hired him.

"We kind of look for that military type," said Cindy Simpson, sergeant with the on-site division of First Response. "He's working out just excellent."

Knipe has been on the job less than a month and already has been promoted to "flex rover," a security officer who can be called on short notice and gets paid a little more.

First Response, which is in the process of expanding to Salem, is one of more than 150 businesses statewide participating in the Marine For Life program.

"We thought it was a great way to show our support for our troops out there," said Johnny Kai, training and operations manager for First Response. "My hat's off to the program. It's just a great idea."

About a dozen businesses in the Salem area are involved so far, including Home Depot, Lowe's, the Salem Police Department and the Salem Fire Department.

White is confident that he can add other businesses and organizations to the list once the program becomes more visible.

"It's easy for me to sell Marines," he said.

White might never had met Knipe before but was comfortable recommending him for a job simply because of his background.

"They know he's going to show up at work when he's supposed to. They know he's going to do a good job. They know he's going to be a leader," White said.

Knipe is grateful to the program for helping him get a job to support his wife and 3-year-old son, and he hopes fellow Marines take advantage of the free service.

"Marines know it's there, but they really don't know what it does," Knipe said. "If not for this, I'd probably still be unemployed."

clynn@StatesmanJournal.com or (503) 399-6710

Marine for life

About the program: Marine For Life provides transition assistance to Marines who honorably leave active service and return to civilian life, including finding employment. Marines can scan jobs and post an online résumé. Employers can post information about their companies and job openings.

For more information: www.M4L.usmc.mil

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users