Jessica Lynch Forums: Diane Sawyer To Interview Miss Lynch - Jessica Lynch Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diane Sawyer To Interview Miss Lynch in November when book is out.

#1 User is offline   jessefan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 15 September 2003 - 01:27 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/primetime/W...view030915.html

Sawyer to Interview Former POW
Jessica Lynch Grants Network Interview to ABCNEWS' Diane Sawyer

Sept. 15— Former prisoner of war Jessica Lynch will talk about her ordeal in Iraq for the first time on network TV with ABCNEWS' Diane Sawyer.

The special edition of Primetime is set to air in November.

Sawyer will sit down with Lynch, 20, and her family on the eve of the publication of Lynch's book, I am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story, written by Rick Bragg and published by Alfred A. Knopf.

"From the moment her unit took a fateful turn and was ambushed in the city of Nasiriyah on March 23, through her capture and rescue, to her recovery from grievous wounds, Lynch's ordeal became a central story of the war," said Diane Sawyer, co-anchor of Primetime.

"Jessica's story — a source of both pride and controversy — remains one of the great untold chapters of the War in Iraq. Like most Americans, I look forward to hearing Jessica Lynch's account of her life leading up to her enlistment in the Army, the extraordinary and harrowing events that transpired in Iraq and what the future holds for this young woman."

A 15-page Army report on the ambush of the 507th Maintenance Company in Iraq says fatigue, bad communications and other difficulties arising in "the fog of war" all factored into the incident that killed 11 and injured several others, including Lynch.

Lynch was honorably discharged from the U.S. Army on August 27.

#2 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2003 - 01:38 PM

While Diane Sawyer will have the first exclusive interview, Katie Couric on Nov. 12th will have the beginning of a multiple part interview. I wonder if Oprah will also get an interview. I personally would like to see Oprah interview Jessica.

#3 User is offline   Matt Wiser 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2003 - 02:46 PM

Get your VCRs ready, people. I for one will be taping this show. PrimeTime is a excellent choice for Jessi, as their productions are very good, and Diane Sawyer is one of the best .(Although I would have preferred Larry King-confessions of a CNN junkie.)

#4 User is offline   mstrunn55 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2003 - 04:25 PM

Thanks Jessefan, I knew you would be right on top of this, Diane Sawyer would have been my guess to do it, she will conduct a great interview I'm sure, looking forward to it. wink.gif

#5 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2003 - 05:48 PM

According to Miami.com: Nov. 14th - David Letterman show and also Nov. 17th - Larry King.

#6 User is offline   hhardley@hotmail.com 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2003 - 06:24 AM

The current schedule of Jessica Lynch's interviews was on Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,97384,00.html

#7 User is offline   mainzman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2003 - 08:52 AM

I think all the journalists who were chosen to do the various interviews are good choices. My first choice would have been Larry King. He's one of the best and most respected interviewers/journalist in the business. MY second choice would be Diane Sawyer. My third and fourth choices for interviews is a toss-up.

#8 User is offline   jean 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 September 2003 - 12:38 PM

There's only a few US presenters I've seen and know of.

for the more serious interview my choices would be:
I love Larry King - think he's brill. Richard Quest - I was really impressed with the way he covered the Queen Mother's death, very respectful.

And for the more light hearted ones:
I love Jon Stewart - the man makes me laugh. Jay Leno's good too BUT he works for NBC. And David Letterman has his moments.

#9 User is offline   jean 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2003 - 12:41 PM

Oh, I forgot to include Montel Williams - the first show I ever saw of his was one about domestic violence. And unlike other shows where they turn a serious issue into a farce, he handled it with care.

#10 User is offline   mstrunn55 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2003 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (lanieer416 @ Sep 15 2003, 05:48 PM)
According to Miami.com: Nov. 14th - David Letterman show and also Nov. 17th - Larry King.

I am going to try and confirm the "multiple" interviews with Katie Couric, had not heard that, I think the interview with Diane Sawyer will go great, Katie will do a good job as well, I think Letterman will make Jessi laugh and loosen her up, as for Larry King, I do respect him, he is arguably the best, BUT, he will not hesitate to get to the point and ask direct questions, and I think he will bring up the controversy. If any of you saw his interview with the Central Park jogger, this is exactly what he did, don't get me wrong, he was polite , courteous, and professional, but he is not adverse to asking the tough questions, this is going to be a whirlwind of a November for Jessi.

I'm getting my VCR all cleaned and am buying a new tape, can't wait to see the interviews and then discuss with all of you. wink.gif

#11 User is offline   nurse 

• PipPip

Posted 17 September 2003 - 10:35 AM

Debbie Hennon is quoted in the Parkersburg paper as saying that Diane Sawyer is going to Wirt County for the interview with Jessica, rather than Jessica going to New York. Here's hoping we get to see pictures of Jessica walking amidst the beautiful West Virginia scenery. What a beautiful sight that would be.

#12 User is offline   jessefan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2003 - 10:38 PM

Here's the article giving Nurse's info. That's real considerate of Ms. Sawyer. smile.gif

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/story/..._new05lynch.asp

Wirt Countians interested in what Lynch will say

By BRETT DUNLAP

ELIZABETH - As Jessica Lynch prepares to tell her story in an upcoming book and a nationwide television interview, many residents around Wirt County are interested in what she has to say.

The Wirt County resident and former prisoner of war will be interviewed by ABC News' Diane Sawyer in primetime Veterans Day, Nov. 11. A biography about Lynch, being done with her cooperation, is also scheduled to be published that day.
The 20-year-old Army supply clerk became internationally known after she was taken prisoner March 23 in Iraq when members of the 507th Maintenance Company were ambushed near Nasiriyah after making a wrong turn during early fighting in the invasion of Iraq. Her fame grew when she was rescued nine days later from an Iraqi hospital by American troops.

Lynch has not said a lot about her capture and rescue saying she doesn't remember many details of what happened.

However, many people around Wirt County are still interested in what she will say about her ordeal.

Wirt County Commission President Charles Murray said he thought the interview would be good for Lynch.

Although he could not even spectulate on what kind of questions he would ask, given the chance, Murray said he was interested in what Lynch had to say.

Commissioner Robert Lowe said he hopes this interview will help Lynch present her side.

''This interview is a chance for her to tell her story and shed light on the questions many people have,'' he said.

County officials hope what she says will quiet some of her critics who have taken issue with exactly what happened when she was captured and whether she deserves all the attention she has been getting as other soilders continue fighting in Iraq.

''There has been enough speculation in the press about what happened,'' Wirt County High School Principal Ken Heiney said Tuesday. ''I am just going to listen to her and what she has to say.

''We'll take what she tells us as the truth.''

Rather than speculate on what Lynch might say, Commissioner Roy Copen said he will wait and listen to her when the interview airs.

Like many people around Wirt County, Copen said he celebrated the news of Lynch's rescue without forgeting or deminishing the service of the other military personnel in the war as well as others who are serving their country.

''I'm a vet and I cried when they found her,'' he said.

Lynch has said she was initially unaware of the attention she had gotten around the time of her rescue.

Wirt County Assessor Debbie Hennon said it was great that Diane Sawyer is coming to Wirt County as opposed to the family going to New York.

''It's great Dianne Sawyer is coming to Wirt County,'' Hennon said. ''She'll be able to see what a great small town this is and how wonderful the people are.''

She hopes Sawyer spends time to get to know the people in Wirt County.

''We are proud of Jessi,'' Hennon said. ''Jessi's story is not 'did she or did she not shoot her gun,' it is the miracle that she survived.''

''The power of prayer saved that young lady. Everybody in this area went through it and were witness to it. God has a plan for Jessi, a reason she survived. She made not know what it is, but there is one.

''She deserves to tell her story.''

Contact Brett Dunlap via e-mail

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users