Jessica Lynch Forums: Other Pows Thought Jessica Lynch Died In Ambush - Jessica Lynch Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Other Pows Thought Jessica Lynch Died In Ambush NBC Dateline this Friday

#1 Guest_ticker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 30 July 2003 - 03:57 AM

From the NY Daily News

The 507th POWs will be on NBC's Dateline this Friday according to the article. Should be interesting hearing more from them.

POWs thought Jessica died in ambush
By ERIC HERMAN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
The thunderous crash made them jump. Inside Pfc. Jessica Lynch's destroyed Humvee, nobody was moving.
The five soldiers captured in Iraq with Lynch assumed she and the others were dead, they told NBC.
Spec. Shoshana Johnson, held for nine days before being rescued, described the heartbreaking sight of Lynch's crumpled truck. "You just knew that they were all gone," she said. When the Marines later told Johnson and the others that Lynch had survived, "We couldn't believe it. We were ecstatic," she told "Dateline" in an interview airing Friday. Lynch, Johnson and the other soldiers in the Army's 507th Maintenance Company drove into an ambush in the southern town of Nassiriya on March 23.
A rocket-propelled grenade hit Lynch's Humvee, causing it to crash into another truck. Eleven of the convoy's soldiers died in the ambush or later.
The Iraqis took the captured Americans to a local hospital. Johnson, who suffered gunshot wounds to both ankles, said Iraqi doctors there saved her life.
"The damage was quite bad," Johnson said. "If they hadn't done that I wouldn't be here."
But other POWs took a more suspicious view. "I made the doctor show me his credentials before he even touched me," said Spec. Joseph Hudson. "I said, 'You will not give me any kind of medication, you will not perform surgery unless you show it to me.'" Iraqis surrounded the convoy, which had gotten separated from the 3rd Infantry Division. With many soldiers wounded and weapons malfunctioning, they surrendered. The soldiers "couldn't exactly run out there and throw rocks at them," said Sgt. James Riley. "First off, there weren't any rocks."

Originally published on July 29, 2003
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/...84p-94704c.html

#2 Guest_ticker_*

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:15 AM

Anyone planning on watching the Dateline episode Friday? I won't be home, so I guess I'll tape it. It's the first interview of the five 507th POWs together, so it should be interesting. I rarely watch Dateline. Does anyone know if they are a reliable news source? I remember they were in trouble a few years ago for staging car fires with incendiary devices for a story on dangerous vehicles.

#3 Guest_hols_*

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:05 AM

It should be interesting to hear what the other pows have to say about their experiences as a pow but i don't think they will be able to give much ensight to what happened to pfc.lynch because it sounds like they thought she was dead from the crash and we already know that pfc.lynch was imjured in the crash. Regardless i am still interested in hearing about their experiences of being a pow.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users