#1 User is offline   jessefan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:30 AM

Picture is in the link.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/25914.htm

GOOD JOB, SOLDIER: BUSH GREETS PVT. JESSICA

June 18, 2004 -- Pvt. Jessica Lynch — the POW who won over the nation with her gutsy spirit — had a heartwarming meeting with President Bush yesterday.
Using a metal cane to help her walk, Jessica hobbled into the Oval Office to shake hands and chat with the commander-in-chief.

The two shared a few laughs along with Jessica's friend Alyssa Gregg, who came along.

They also talked about the charitable foundation Lynch set up to help kids separated from their parents during military deployments.

It was the first time the president had met the 21-year-old Army supply clerk since she was dramatically rescued from an Iraqi hospital in April 2003.

Lynch is still recovering from serious injuries she suffered when her convoy was attacked after taking a wrong turn in the Iraqi town of Nasiriyah.

Eleven soldiers were killed, and six, including Lynch, were captured.

Yesterday, she also visited Capitol Hill for a salute to the military sponsored by West Virginia University.

Bill Hoffmann

#2 User is offline   Tomb Raider 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:15 PM

Hi, I posted this last night. There are 2 photos on Yahoo. Why did your post come before mine?

#3 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2004 - 04:13 PM

I tell you I have a copy of the NY Post and the picture is 1/2 of a full page and also on page 2. It is a great picture. You can see her friend and spokesperson, Gregg on the left of the picture and quite a bit of the oval office. The picture is also in color. That's great. I know in the article it said they had never met, but I believe they met at the Washington Corespondents dinner. Wasn't she invited to see Bush in the morning but could not attend due to Ruben's birthday? That's something that the President re-invited her after she had turned him down the first time. I never felt that Bush was a tall man, but he looks like a giant next to Jessica.

#4 User is offline   mainzman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2004 - 06:42 PM

Friday evengs edition of "Current Affair" had a small segment with Jessica meeting with the President and some things about her foundation. She's looking healthier everyday. The therapy she has had over the months is really paying off.

#5 User is offline   mainzman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2004 - 06:45 PM

Correction on the show with Jessica Friday evening. I think the show was "Inside Edition".

#6 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2004 - 07:28 AM

This picture includes a bit more background.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...0/wx11306172306

#7 User is offline   Soprano84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2004 - 10:28 AM

Wasn't her right leg the one was was so bad it was going to be amputated by the Iraqi docs?

Look how she's standing...her left foot is flat on the ground, but she's rolling onto the outside of her right foot. I hope that doesn't mean her ankle's fouled up, although surgery could fix that eventually. Or perhaps she naturally pronates that foot.

Either way, only Jessica could make tennis shoes fit in the Oval Office!

#8 User is offline   nurse2 

• PipPip

Posted 19 June 2004 - 11:11 AM

Soprano:
When she was shown walking into the studio for her interview with Diane Sawyer on April 1st, her right ankle seemed to be in fine working order. I don't remember ever reading anything, including her book, which mentioned which leg they were going to amputate. Has anyone else??

#9 User is offline   Dilligafst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2004 - 02:33 PM

That was a nice picture of her. I wonder what was going through her mind, since Bush is the one that sent her over there in the first place. True, she's still got the army in her and shaking hands with the commander-in=chief must be quite the honor. But what a long way up she has come since 23 March 2003 and how much more heroism she has shown that is within her than the man she is shaking hands and all the other Washington Politicos. I wonder if Jessica is, at some point, going to take up residence in Washington, D.C., in some capacity. Just a thought:)

#10 User is offline   Soprano84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2004 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Dilligafst @ Jun 20 2004, 04:35 PM)
That was a nice picture of her. I wonder what was going through her mind, since Bush is the one that sent her over there in the first place. True, she's still got the army in her and shaking hands with the commander-in=chief must be quite the honor. But what a long way up she has come since 23 March 2003 and how much more heroism she has shown that is within her than the man she is shaking hands and all the other Washington Politicos. I wonder if Jessica is, at some point, going to take up residence in Washington, D.C., in some capacity. Just a thought:)

Well, yeah...but Dubbya wasn't the one who got her lost in the desert.

And how many people get to mee the Pres AFTER standing him up earlier???

Re relocating to DC...I would sorta doubt that...she's far too humble and REAL of a person for that environment. My bet is she'll either stay in WV or move to CO...depends on wherte she & Ruben want to live after they marry.

Since her foundation is set in WV, tho, I bet she'll stay there.

#11 User is offline   pamino 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2004 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Soprano84 @ Jun 19 2004, 12:30 PM)
Wasn't her right leg the one was was so bad it was going to be amputated by the Iraqi docs? 

I think it would have been the left leg they were planning to amputate- that was the one with the multiple open fractures. As I understand, Jessica still has no feeling in her left foot and wears a brace on her lower left leg, which would keep her foot flat.
You may be right that her right ankle is messed up- she's always using her cane in her right hand in the pictures I've seen (not in this pic though- she's changed hands to shake hands with the President).

#12 User is offline   Dilligafst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:00 PM

LOL Soprano:) I love that about standing up the prez earlier and then meeting him again:)

It was just an idle thought about her relocating to D.C. She's been there so much lately and, well, the foundation would, perhaps, have more leverage there. And she does seem to be going to the top:) Would not be surprised if this gutsy and spirited hero from the hills of Palestine does spend more time in D.C. The politicos would have to listen to her:)

Question: Are she and Ruben still tying the knot at some point down the road?

#13 User is offline   Kicks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2004 - 11:54 AM

Question: Are she and Ruben still tying the knot at some point down the road?

Ruben gets out on the 29th. I'm sure we'll see something after that.

#14 User is offline   Denise 

• Pip

Posted 23 June 2004 - 04:22 PM

Jessica's right leg and foot were injured severly, in that she does not have any feeling in her right foot, at this time. That's why she stands with her right foot rolled to the outside. It helps her balance, and she feels more stable.

#15 User is offline   Fluffv 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2004 - 11:36 PM

President Bush meeting Miss Lynch is to me a paradox, as many people have felt.
I wonder what my fellow Pennsylvanian and Founding-Father Ben Franklin would have said about this. Probably something witty and honest about this mightly little woman. She really has become what the "cold steel" ceremony says... a finely honed precise example of a human being.
When she stood in front of him, he should feel as he did, totally honored. We owe a great debt of gratitude to Jessica and all of the many nameless forgotten people who have been maimed and injured over this.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users