• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jessica Lynch - Today Show First Live Interview - Wednesday

#1 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:38 AM

MORNING NEWS EXCLUSIVE: NBC’S KATIE COURIC TALKS LIVE WITH FORMER PRISONER OF WAR JESSICA LYNCH

Lynch’s First-Ever Live Network Interview on Wednesday, November 12

NEW YORK -- November 10, 2003 -- NBC "Today" co-anchor Katie Couric will sit down with former POW Jessica Lynch for a two-part interview airing Wednesday and Thursday, November 12 & 13 on “Today.” Lynch’s appearance on Wednesday on “Today” will mark her first live network interview.

On Wednesday, Couric will talk live with Lynch and journalist Rick Bragg about the book they co-authored I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story. Couric and Lynch will discuss her experiences in Iraq, what it has been like to become an American icon, and how she deals with the media and the public attention placed on her.

On Thursday, “Today” will air an interview with Jessica, her sister Brandi, and her parents Greg and Dee.

link: www.nbcmv.com

#2 User is offline   Kicks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:22 AM

Jessi was interviewed on Good Morning America this morning, Tuesday Nov 11. Don't that count as "First-Ever Live Network Interview"?

I didn't see it, but I did have my VCR running. I'll check it out this evening.

#3 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:17 AM

If I'm not mistaken the interview with Jessica on Good Morning America were excerpts from her interview tonight. That's why I didn't want to watch it. I want to see her interview in one sitting.
The Today's interview will be a live interview.

#4 User is offline   mstrunn55 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:44 AM

You're correct Lanieer, it was excerpts from the show tonight, 9 hours and counting. ohmy.gif

#5 User is offline   ticker 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:53 AM

Jessica is on the Today Show right now. I'm always surprised when I hear her talk. Even though I just heard her last night on the Primetime special. She has a very pleasant voice. Is her accent common to West Virginia?

#6 User is offline   Signmaker 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:53 AM

Is her accent common to West Virginia?

Yes and no. I think most of us have a nasal twang to our voice and sound similar to her. But it's like other state...it depends on where you live. Some of our folks from the northern panhandle have a Pennsylvania flavor, the southern part...more of a Virginia/Kentucky, etc.

#7 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 08:03 AM

I thought it was a decent interview. Rick Bragg was with her and you can see they have a very nice relationship. Jessica seemed to be very nervous and mentioned that she was. It was only 20-25 minutes so Katie Couric asked very pointed questions one after another. I also thought the part where she explained all of the rods in her legs and arms and feet was touching. I thought she mentioned rods and cages for her back. I wonder how she gets through airports.

Tommorrow Katie said Jessica would be back with her sister and parents. It sounded as if it would be live but she did not say. I wouldn't be surprised if she taped that segment today and showed it on Thursday.
Ticker I was wondering about her accent too.

#8 User is offline   Soprano84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (lanieer416 @ Nov 12 2003, 08:03 AM)
I thought it was a decent interview. Rick Bragg was with her and you can see they have a very nice relationship. Jessica seemed to be very nervous and mentioned that she was. It was only 20-25 minutes so Katie Couric asked very pointed questions one after another. I also thought the part where she explained all of the rods in her legs and arms and feet was touching. I thought she mentioned rods and cages for her back. I wonder how she gets through airports.

Tommorrow Katie said Jessica would be back with her sister and parents. It sounded as if it would be live but she did not say. I wouldn't be surprised if she taped that segment today and showed it on Thursday.
Ticker I was wondering about her accent too.

I suspect she'll have a medical card to show to security when that happens.

It was a good interview...I only wish she were more confident in front of the camera, although she did seem better with the Sawyer feature.

#9 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 01:13 PM

I have a hunch the Larry King interview you will see a more relaxed Jessica if she is in his studio. It appears to me his studio is a more relaxed setting then a 7:00 am appearance in NY City. She was sitting in that sofa at 7:00 am and they kept panning to her and announcing that Jessica Lynch would be on to tell her story. She sat there for over half an hour smiling every time they went to a commmercial break. It's no wonder she was so nervous. Larry King is a great interviewer and I have high hopes for that one. People usually appear on the morning shows as a commitment to promote something. They are short and sweet interviews.

I think because Jessi is so humble and never wants to cry or show pain she comes across as non-assertive. That might just be the "Country girl" in her. She told Diane she takes morphine for the pain but told Katie that the pain wasn't bad. Tough kid.

#10 User is offline   Soprano84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 01:26 PM

You may be correct on the King setting....but this will be a call-in show, and some questions will probably be a little too blunt. This will be the frist time she'll have to face her (stupid) detractors on a national stage...assuming such calls get through in the first place.

Still...she made herself survive in the hospital, saved her leg with "the muscles in her neck" as bragg said this morning...she's one tough cookie...she'll get by this.

#11 User is offline   mainzman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 02:49 PM

After the next week or two, Jessica and her family will FINALLY be happy to be back home! I think having the interviews and recognition awards has been an interesting and good learning experience for Jessica, but there's no place like home where it's much more peaceful.

#12 User is offline   mstrunn55 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:34 PM

I thought Katie Couric was getting rather truculent with some of the questions, one after the other and wanting yes or no answers, that is not the way to conduct an interview, let the guests speak, and I did detect Jessi as nervous and somewhat strained. Perhaps tomorrow AM will be better, more relaxed, I think Jessi has to feel comfortable with the interviewer, one reason why the Sawyer interview went so well. Jessi was awesome wasn't she?

#13 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 08:42 PM

www.dailymail.com

Lynch details injuries
Ex-POW gives first live
TV interview on ‘Today' show

Brad McElhinny
Daily Mail staff

Former POW Jessica Lynch told Katie Couric today she has rods and pins in her legs, a cage reinforcing her spine and severely injured feet.
“My foot is completely destroyed,” Lynch said in a live interview on NBC’s “Today” show. “I have no feeling in it.”

“Are you in constant pain?” asked Couric, who interviewed Lynch and her biographer, Rick Bragg, on the “Today” set.
“I’m kind of used to it now,” Lynch responded.
Lynch’s badly injured body will have to hold up during the next few days as she goes through a marathon of media appearances.
This morning’s appearance on “Today” was her first live television interview since being rescued from an Iraqi hospital earlier this year.
Her book, “I Am an American Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story,” which was written by Bragg, was released Tuesday.
She appeared on the cover of this weekend’s Parade magazine, on the cover of this week’s Time magazine and appeared on a taped interview Tuesday evening with ABC’s Diane Sawyer. She’s scheduled to appear again on NBC’s “Today” on Thursday, and on CBS’s “Late Show with David Letterman” on Friday.
Lynch also will be appearing at book signings in New York, Charleston and Parkersburg. The appearance at Charleston’s Taylor Books is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. Friday, but the store will be distributing numbers to organize people who want their books signed starting at 4 p.m.
“Your life has been a whirlwind,” Couric said to Lynch this morning. “What has all this attention been like?”
“It’s overwhelming, but exciting at the same time,” Lynch said. “I’m still uncomfortable and still nervous.”
On “Today,” Lynch appeared in a black turtleneck, a silver necklace and jeans. She and Bragg sat together on a couch, while Couric sat across from them.
During the show, Lynch often sat quietly, holding her hands in her lap, said WSAZ NewsChannel 3 reporter Scott Saxton, who received behind-the-scenes access to provide reports for the NBC affiliate.
During breaks, she chatted with workers and Today” co-host Matt Lauer, Saxton said. Lauer, who in the 1980s worked for CBS affiliate WOWK in Huntington, W.Va., discussed the location of Palestine in West Virginia. He mentioned his working days here.
“Lynch also joked that she wasn’t a fan of the food in New York so far,” said Saxton, whose reports about the “Today” visit can be seen this evening on WSAZ’s “First at Five”and “NewsChannel 3 at 6 O’Clock.”
Couric led Lynch through a chronological account of her ordeal in Iraq, starting with her supply unit getting lost and being ambushed in Nasiriyah, her capture, her hospitalization and her rescue. She also asked about the way the government and the media portrayed the story.
“We got into the city and everything was calm for a few minutes,” Lynch recalled. “Then everything broke loose. It was tragic and horrible.”
She said early reports that she had fought back against enemy fire were untrue. She said her weapon jammed. She doesn’t remember much after the Hummer in which she was a passenger was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade and then crashed.
“I put my head down and prayed, and the next thing I knew I was in the hospital,” Lynch said.
“Did you think you might die?” Couric asked.
“Yeah, at a point, but I never gave up,” Lynch said.
Lynch told Couric she was angered at first by portrayals of her story. She said she also felt uncomfortable that her rescue from the hospital was taped and released.
“Does it make you angry?” Couric asked.
“It did at first because I wanted to correct it, but I was in the hospital,” she said. “So yes in a way, but I was glad to be giving these soldiers hope.”
Bragg said Lynch and other soldiers who simply do their jobs should be considered heroes even if they don’t necessarily perform the spectacular feats that might be portrayed in a war movie.
“The reason I think she’s a hero is because she got in the truck. She went,” Bragg said. “She’s a hero.”

#14 User is offline   WVgal 

• Pip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:22 PM

Ticker,
Her pronunciation, and especially that of her father, sounds normal for that area. It strongly reminds me of Allegany County, Md. speech. When you get deeper into WV, that is were it gets difficult for people born outside the state to understand the speech patterns. My grandparents pronounce the word IT as HIT etc. It was my thought that maybe with all of the painkillers she was speaking a little different than she normally would. I thought her interview was fantastic! She looked Diane in the eye when she spoke to her and was very clear about expressing her thoughts.

#15 User is offline   ra19870347 

• PipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (mstrunn55 @ Nov 12 2003, 07:34 PM)
I thought Katie Couric was getting rather truculent with some of the questions, one after the other and wanting yes or no answers, that is not the way to conduct an interview, let the guests speak, and I did detect Jessi as nervous and somewhat strained. Perhaps tomorrow AM will be better, more relaxed, I think Jessi has to feel comfortable with the interviewer, one reason why the Sawyer interview went so well. Jessi was awesome wasn't she?

Yes she was awsome. I have a profound respect for this kid and her family. I also have a deep respect for Rick Bragg and Eric Horner. Together they have panted a picture in words of something in this country that needs to be told. They are important characters in Jessica's life. There are many angels looking over Jessica.
ra19870347

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users