Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Today Is D-day +59yrs Operation Overlord

#1 Guest_redfalcon_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 June 2003 - 07:22 AM

It is June 6th,D-day+59 yrs today.
59 yrs since one of the most well known military operations in history.Conducted to bring evil madmen to end and free those who suffered under their oppression.

Sound familiar anybody.

Just a moment to remember that even 59 yrs later,americans like Miss.Lynch and the other 140,000 soldiers in Iraq are still willing put themselves in harms way for the freedom of others,many strangers they may never meet.
People in and out of this country can point and yell about how America is evil and imperialistic,but in the after 59 yrs nothing has changed.We still fight for others who cannot fight for themselves,and I hope that is one thing that will never change.

God Bless America and God Bless You All smile.gif

#2 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 June 2003 - 04:06 PM

Thank you for reminding us. I'm ashamed I forgot.

#3 Guest_Jessicafan_*

Posted 06 June 2003 - 04:39 PM

ya thanks for reminding us

God bless Jessica and her Family
Matt Morales, 15, 9th grade, Texas

#4 User is offline   carolemac 

• Pip

Posted 07 June 2003 - 03:06 AM

Yes. Thanks for the reminder, though, for me, it wasn't necessary. Yesterday, again, my flag flew high.
God Bless our Troops.

Phntmstrngr

#5 Guest_jean_*

Posted 07 June 2003 - 12:58 PM

I found on the website the various divisions involved with D-Day and so have placed their names here:

United Kingdom and Canadian Land Forces

Second British Army
1st British Corps
30th British Corps
3rd British Infantry Division
6th British Airborne Division
50th British Infantry Division
3rd Canadian Infantry Division

United States Army

First Army
V Corps
VII Corps
1st Infantry Division
4th Infantry Division
29th Infantry Division
82nd Airborne Division
101st Airborne Division

AIR FORCES

Royal Air Force
2nd Tactical Air Force

U. S. Army Air Forces
Eighth Air Force
Nineth Air Force

Allied Expeditiary Naval Forces

British: Eastern Task Force
United States: Western Task Force

We remember them!

They fought for freedom, we must never forget that.

#6 User is offline   iron-bound 

• Pip

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:12 PM

There are those who believe that D-Day was THE most decisive moment of the 20th century. I'd have to agree. It is an event that we need to be reminded of daily, as it represents the essence of this nation.

#7 User is offline   carolemac 

• Pip

Posted 08 June 2003 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE (Khan Benjamin @ Jun 7 2003, 01:12 PM)
There are those who believe that D-Day was THE most decisive moment of the 20th century. I'd have to agree. It is an event that we need to be reminded of daily, as it represents the essence of this nation.

Khan Benjamin

I'd have to give the most decisive to another event, when Hirsohima witnessed the first demonstration of the most destructive force man had ever devised. The invention of flight, the computer, and even television are also among the top ten.
D-day was not even the most decisive event in Europe during WWII. That would have to go to the Siege of Stalingrad, although D-Day would be number 2 on my list for WWII in Europe.

Phntmstrngr

#8 Guest_dilligafst_*

Posted 08 June 2003 - 11:49 AM

phtnmstrngr: Agree with you there about Stalingrad. Would also add that, perhaps, the second most decisive battle in WWII, was the battle of the Atlantic, when the allies finally overcame the Nazi U-boats. That was the only battle that had really scared Chruchill. That made D-Day possible.

#9 User is offline   iron-bound 

• Pip

Posted 08 June 2003 - 02:32 PM

When I say decisive, I meant it was a decisive moment emotionally, not necessarily in a strictly historical context.

Hiroshima, while decisive in the context of the nuclear age, was not extremely decisive in World War II, as Japan would have been defeated eventually, be it through conventional invasion (which would have been hell) or continued incendiary bombing.

#10 Guest_redfalcon_*

Posted 08 June 2003 - 07:30 PM

Well since I started this,let me add a couple of WWII battles to the list of key events.

First,a little remembered battle in Egypt called Alam Halfa Ridge.When Rommel pushed the british back to Egypt in 42' Churchill apointed Gen.Montgomery to command the troops.He was able to set an ambush for Rommel and stop him Alam Halfa giving himself time to rebuild 8th army.If Rommel had succeeded he would have driven right into the Middle East and taken all the oil from the allies and right into german hands,if not costing us the war definetly protracting it.

The other would be the battle of Midway,when we destroyed four Japanese aircraft carriers and stopped their advance across the Pacific.If they had taken Midway,it would have given the Japanese a refueling point only a few hundred miles from Pearl Harbour.Which would have allowed them to attack it frequently.
I love WWII history so much,i've been reading about it since I could read.

May God Bless You All smile.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users