Jessica Lynch Forums: Shoshana's Book Picked Up By Simon And Schuster - Jessica Lynch Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shoshana's Book Picked Up By Simon And Schuster One publisher dropped, another picks her up

#1 User is offline   Matt Wiser 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:19 PM

Saw this on Google News: Shoshana Johnson's book has been picked up by Simon and Schuster (which dangled a contract in front of Jessica via CBS back in '03). No release date announced, but expect it to be sometime next year. CBS not only dangled an interview in front of Jessica, but a book from Simon and Schuster, an MTV special, a "Welcome Home Jessica" concert event, a movie with her input, etc. (CBS, MTV, and Simon & Schuster are all part of Viacom, so they put a package deal together. Jessica, as we all know, had other plans and didn't bite)
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect, but always have ready a plan to kill them.

Old USMC Adage

#2 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(Matt Wiser @ Jun 21 2007, 11:19 PM) View Post

Saw this on Google News: Shoshana Johnson's book has been picked up by Simon and Schuster (which dangled a contract in front of Jessica via CBS back in '03). No release date announced, but expect it to be sometime next year. CBS not only dangled an interview in front of Jessica, but a book from Simon and Schuster, an MTV special, a "Welcome Home Jessica" concert event, a movie with her input, etc. (CBS, MTV, and Simon & Schuster are all part of Viacom, so they put a package deal together. Jessica, as we all know, had other plans and didn't bite)

Several momths ago, i read a report stating that Shosana had difficulty with the previous publishing company that was interested in her book. She allegedly was upset with, among other things, that they wanted her to add more info about Lori .She wouldn't do that.
I hope this works for her. She does have a story to tell.

#3 User is offline   scanner2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(patience @ Jun 22 2007, 08:51 AM) View Post

Several momths ago, i read a report stating that Shosana had difficulty with the previous publishing company that was interested in her book. She allegedly was upset with, among other things, that they wanted her to add more info about Lori .She wouldn't do that.

I wonder why she would not add more about Lori? I may have to think twice about posting her book if it's just all about her and very little about the whole group.

Regards,

Scott Drake
Webmaster

USDCServers.net We give you a solution, Not just a Plan! We have Ensim cPanel and Plesk Dedicated Servers Available!

<!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo-->Need to Register a Domain Name at a Low Price or in Need of SSL Certificates at Low Prices, Click Here

Need a Web Site? We Can Help there too, Just Click Here for more information<!--sizec-->
<!--/sizec-->

IPB Image
2008 MS Walk, if you would like to Donate just click on this link

Marines In The Garden Of Eden, The first book to tell the entire story

IPB Image
Marines in the Garden of Eden

#4 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(scanner2 @ Jun 22 2007, 10:33 AM) View Post

QUOTE(patience @ Jun 22 2007, 08:51 AM) View Post

Several momths ago, I read a report stating that Shosana had difficulty with the previous publishing company that was interested in her book. She allegedly was upset with, among other things, that they wanted her to add more info about Lori. She wouldn't do that.

I wonder why she would not add more about Lori? I may have to think twice about posting her book if it's just all about her and very little about the whole group.

The impression I got when I read the article was that Shoshanna was asked to relate something about Lori that she did not feel comfortable talking about. Perhaps something related to a gag order?
I didn't think, when I read her responses that she was motivated by any selfish reasoning. I'll try to find the article again.

#5 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:14 PM

This is an article picked up by POW-MIA about the cancellation of the previous book deal for Shoshana Johnson. I can't find the one I referred to above. This article relates some of the issues that she had with the previous publishing company. One is excerpted below.
http://www.aiipowmia.com/inter27/in140507bookcancel.html

Excerpt:
She wonders if the real reason for the book's cancellation is because she fought to write the only story she believed she could write, the only story she knows, she said.

ÒThey wanted more religious overtones," Johnson said. "It had some, because faith is important to me. They wanted me to be preachy. But I live in a glass house. They basically, wanted me to throw stones.

ÒMy parents brought me up right," she continued, "I have a good sense of what is right and what is wrong. IÕm not going to be pushed around.Ó

Go for it, Shoshanna. smile.gif

This next link is an article about the original plans for Shoshanna's book. I'm posting it because it has a nice photo of both Jessica and Shoshanna.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/20...book-deal_x.htm

#6 User is offline   Matt Wiser 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:04 PM

From what I've found out, from my cousin and others, is that all the ex-POWs are under a gag order, not just Jessica. And one may assume that Shoshana will have to send her manuscript to DOD to see if there's anything in it that's covered by the order.
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect, but always have ready a plan to kill them.

Old USMC Adage

#7 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

From the article that I read, Shoshana said that the publisher had an issue with the front cover photo. They wanted a closeup and she wanted a rescue photo. Shoshana said in the end she felt they wanted more "religious overtones" in the book . Nothing was mentioned about Lori by either the publisher or Shoshana. Sounds like either the publisher wanted to back out of the book deal or both just had a disagreement over several small issues.

#8 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(lanieer416 @ Jun 23 2007, 12:50 PM) View Post

From the article that I read, Shoshana said that the publisher had an issue with the front cover photo. They wanted a closeup and she wanted a rescue photo. Shoshana said in the end she felt they wanted more "religious overtones" in the book . Nothing was mentioned about Lori by either the publisher or Shoshana. Sounds like either the publisher wanted to back out of the book deal or both just had a disagreement over several small issues.

Right.
I haven't found the article where Lori was mentioned. It was several months ago. There was also a blog or comment space after the article. Shoshanna herself entered one message in the blog. It was in defense of Jessica.

#9 User is offline   Laracroft 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:40 AM

I just hope she can get something worked out. I think she has story to tell would like to hear it. I do wish we could get the entire story??????????

#10 User is offline   scanner2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(Laracroft @ Jun 24 2007, 12:40 PM) View Post

I just hope she can get something worked out. I think she has story to tell would like to hear it. I do wish we could get the entire story??????????

I am sure if our government has anything to say about it, it will not be the whole truth sad.gif Our Government is sure making it hard on me trying to get thruthfull stories, I am trying to launch The Lori Piestewa Tribute site and the America's Bravest site and I never know what is the truth or what is what the government puts out.

Regards,

Scott Drake
Webmaster

USDCServers.net We give you a solution, Not just a Plan! We have Ensim cPanel and Plesk Dedicated Servers Available!

<!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo-->Need to Register a Domain Name at a Low Price or in Need of SSL Certificates at Low Prices, Click Here

Need a Web Site? We Can Help there too, Just Click Here for more information<!--sizec-->
<!--/sizec-->

IPB Image

IPB Image

#11 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE(scanner2 @ Jun 24 2007, 07:00 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Laracroft @ Jun 24 2007, 12:40 PM) View Post

I am sure if our government has anything to say about it, it will not be the whole truth sad.gif Our Government is sure making it hard on me trying to get thruthfull stories, I am trying to launch The Lori Piestewa Tribute site and the America's Bravest site and I never know what is the truth or what is what the government puts out.

If Shoshanna's book ever does get published, the value of it, for me, will be that we get to know her better. She does not appear to be bashful. But as Laracroft says, it would be interesting to hear all details.

#12 User is offline   Matt Wiser 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

A couple of things to remember: first, remember the Dateline NBC interview when Shoshana and the other 507th POWs all talked to Stone Philips? They did say that there were certain aspects of captivity that they were not allowed to talk about publicly (war-crimes probe still ongoing is what they said); and second, there was an article in the online edition of the El Paso Times (not up now, unfortunately), where Shoshana said flat out that there were some things that she can't discuss about what happened to her and the other POWs.

Old USMC Adage

#13 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:15 AM

name='Laracroft' post='14301' date='Jun 24 2007, 12:40 PM']

Scanner-Jun 24

I think the tribute you already have on Lori's tribute site, is very nice.
I don't remember having seen her wedding photo before seeing it on your website. When I saw it, I was reminded of an e-mail that Osha Davidson had sent me. He wrote the article,Wrong turn in the Desert, for Rolling Stone. In the e-mail he asked if I knew that Lori liked turtles. He said that Lori and her husband were vacationing at Myrtle Beach, and took a turtle home. She named it, Myrtle, the Turtle. Sure enough, when her parents got their new home (Extreme Makeover, Home Addition), Myrtle's new "home" was also shown.

#14 User is offline   scanner2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE(patience @ Jun 26 2007, 08:15 AM) View Post

I think the tribute you already have on Lori's tribute site, is very nice.
I don't remember having seen her wedding photo before seeing it on your website. When I saw it, I was reminded of an e-mail that Osha Davidson had sent me. He wrote the article,Wrong turn in the Desert, for Rolling Stone. In the e-mail he asked if I knew that Lori liked turtles. He said that Lori and her husband were vacationing at Myrtle Beach, and took a turtle home. She named it, Myrtle, the Turtle. Sure enough, when her parents got their new home (Extreme Makeover, Home Addition), Myrtle's new "home" was also shown.

Thanks, I am still developing it and I am also waiting for the final word from the Piestewa Family to give me the final approval on the flash movie. I didn't know that Lori liked turtles and if I don't forget I will add that to her bio page which I still have to finish and post it.

Regards,

Scott Drake
Webmaster

<!--/sizec-->

IPB Image

IPB Image

#15 User is offline   Laracroft 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:34 AM

Congrats to Shoshana! This historian, who’s been researching the Battle of Nasiriya and the Iraq POW experience in both ‘91 and ‘03, will be eagerly awaiting your book. Not many POWs from either GW I or II have had books published (3 from ‘91, and Jessica from ‘03), so your book will help fill in the void. Anyone who puts on the uniform and goes off to war when the country calls is a hero in my book, regardless of gender or background.

Posted by: Matt Wiser at June 26, 2007 10:00 PM

Thank you

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users