Meritorious Service

#1 User is offline   scanner2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 July 2003 - 09:44 AM

Exclusive commentary by Jack Burns in The Washington Dispatch

Jul 29, 2003

The award of the Bronze Star to PFC Jessica Lynch has brought a flurry of comments from the media and “experts” from all walks of life. Does she deserve it? Is it proper? Is she a hero? Doesn’t this elevate her to hero status? Is it justified?

As one who has been awarded a few of these and as one who has written a few of these, I feel qualified to comment on the award. I would request that anyone who has not been awarded a Bronze Star, keep their “Damm” opinions to themselves.

Those of us who have “Crosses, Stars, Medals and Badges” earned in combat are sick and tired of people who have not earned such items making money by commenting of the award of such. Unless you were standing next to the awardee, you don’t know Jack.

But, for those who don’t know; let’s examine the criteria for award:

Item One: The award requires the person to be serving in a combat zone: She qualifies.

Item Two: The award requires the person not be involved in aerial flight (The Air Medal is for that.): She qualifies.

Item Three: The award requires involvement in military operations with an armed enemy: She qualifies.

Item Four: The award may be for Heroism (Bronze Letter “V” Device), Meritorious Achievement or Meritorious Service. She was not awarded a “V” device.

So, was her award for Achievement or Service and was it Meritorious?

Certainly, survival under her circumstances was an achievement. Certainly, enduring the pain of being bounced around by the Iraqis and rescue without screaming her head off was an achievement. And, I think not mouthing off to the first news agency that offered her big bucks and not having a press agent were achievements; so, she achieved.

She served her Country and that service was positive. She was captured through no fault of her own. She was damaged through the actions of an armed enemy and had little chance to fight, but carried on, as best she could. Even if that was only continuing to take a breath, it was service to her Unit and Country; so, she served.

Meritorious actions are those that reflect credit on the Individual, Unit, Service and Country. She performed in a manner that is approved and therefore deserves merit and is meritorious. Her actions had worth, therefore merit.
Interestingly enough, at the end of WWII an award of the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge was considered automatic qualification for the Bonze Star. They seem to have the same worth. They were a little more difficult to get in Vietnam.

If you don’t like women in combat, that is another issue. I’m not sure I want anyone in combat I can prevent from being there; ANYONE! But, this is not an issue of politics. It is also not an issue of others who deserve awards; many more are due. Hopefully, many more will be awarded for past action, in this war, and few for future incidents. It is an award for a young soldier who earned it. Just like many others, this soldier will live with this award and memory until death. All others “Keep Off the Grass.”

NOTE: Reprinted with the permission of the Author Jack Burns, Email on file with the WebMaster of www.jessica-lynch.com.
Regards,

Scott Drake
Webmaster

USDCServers.net We give you a solution, Not just a Plan! We have Ensim cPanel and Plesk Dedicated Servers Available!

<!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo-->Need to Register a Domain Name at a Low Price or in Need of SSL Certificates at Low Prices, Click Here

Need a Web Site? We Can Help there too, Just Click Here for more information<!--sizec-->
<!--/sizec-->

IPB Image
2008 MS Walk, if you would like to Donate just click on this link

Marines In The Garden Of Eden, The first book to tell the entire story

IPB Image
Marines in the Garden of Eden

#2 User is offline   lpdp71 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 July 2003 - 12:10 PM

Check this artical out.

http://www.baxterbulletin.com/news/stories...ews/551015.html

This is really a great artical. It also confirms that Lori and Jessica had the choice to go with 1sgt and be at the back of the pack and be in the most dangerous place. This was after they had been shot at. Jessica was already int he Humvee. These young ladies did there duty when they were never supposed to be in this situation. There is no doubt that they showed great bravery. I just don't know why Lori was not given a bronze star and both should have been given the v for valor.

#3 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 30 July 2003 - 01:33 PM

She was not awarded a “V” device

I thought I read that she did indeed receive the V device. Anyone else read that? What's the real story then?

#4 Guest_patience2_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 31 July 2003 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (flyer @ Jul 30 2003, 01:10 PM)
Check this artical out. 

http://www.baxterbulletin.com/news/stories...ews/551015.html

This is really  a great artical.  It also confirms that Lori and Jessica had the choice to go with 1sgt and be at the back of the pack and be in the most dangerous place.  This was after they had been shot at.  Jessica was already int he Humvee.  These young ladies did there duty when they were never supposed to be in this situation.  There is no doubt that they showed great bravery.  I just don't know why Lori was not given a bronze star and both should have been given the v for valor.

The more I read about Lori and Jessica, the more my admiration grows for both of them. There were some thought provoking statements made and some very poignant sentiments expressed in the article.

Thank you, Flyer, for this post.

#5 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:41 PM

Has anybody been able to find the citation for her bronze star or confirm that she received the V-device?
I can't find anything.

#6 Guest_patience2_*

Posted 31 July 2003 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (jessefan @ Jul 31 2003, 03:41 PM)
Has anybody been able to find the citation for her bronze star or confirm that she received the V-device?
I can't find anything.

I accessed the amervets.com web page. The information they gave me was that PFC Lynch was not awarded the Bronze V device.

They are researching the availability of the citation that accompanied the Bronze Star award and will e-mail it to me if accessible. If I get it, I'll pass it on.

#7 Guest_fa102_*

Posted 31 July 2003 - 04:30 PM

This article is the only thing I find on the Net that has information on her citation. I don't know if it's accurate since the writer in the article dissed Pfc Jessica Lynch. mad.gif
For exemplary courage under fire during combat operations to liberate Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Private First Class Lynch's bravery and heart persevered while surviving in the ambush and captivity in An Nasiriya. Private First Class Lynch's belief in the battalion's motto "One Team, One Fight" is in keeping with the finest traditions of military service. Her honor, courage and dedication reflect great credit upon herself, 507th Maintenance Company, 3rd Infantry division, Victory Corps, and the United States Army

#8 User is offline   jean 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2003 - 07:39 PM

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?...RTICLE_ID=33848
Pfc. Patrick Miller, who was awarded a Silver Star for truly distinguishing himself by killing up to nine Iraqi fighters before being captured

This isn't the first time I've read something like this, but statements like this do PFC Miller a disservice and distorts the truth.

As it is part of soldier's job to kill other soldiers during war, PFC Miller was doing nothing he wasn't supposed to do. If he received his Silver Star because he killed nine people, then that's an awful lot of soldiers you have to give a Silver Star to.

The reason he got his Silver Star was because he saved two comrades, and lied to his captors to take down information which I assume would help the Allies at great risk to himself.

http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/july...ly/m070303g.htm

He manually fed rounds into the chamber of his weapon to protect two of his comrades. He wrote radio frequencies inside his helmet and told his captors that they were prices for water pumps.

#9 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 31 July 2003 - 07:43 PM

Thank you Fa102. smile.gif What you quoted does look like the whole citation. And yes the article is a diss for saying she doesn't deserve the Bronz Star.

she simply was a passenger in the back of a vehicle

.... THAT WAS BEING FIRED ON BY MACHINE GUNS AND RPGs YOU DUMB STUPID *******! mad.gif

#10 Guest_patience2_*

Posted 01 August 2003 - 09:06 AM

Here's hoping that when Jessica is well, she, too, will stand against the forces of political correctness that are out to prove men and women are interchangeable fungibles. Now that will take real courage!

The above quote is from the World Net Daily article.

Another viewpoint:
You may have heard the term "glass ceiling" used to describe the barriers to progress for women.
Etched in one of those glass ceiling tablets and reflected on the marble wall below, are the words of a World War II Army nurse which speak volumes about what this memorial represents. She said "Let the generations know that women in uniform also guaranteed their freedom. That our resolve was just as great as the brave men who stood among us. And with victory, our hearts were just as full and beat just as fast- that the tears fell just as hard for those we left behind."
Let our thoughts today also be with the women, and the men, who wear the uniform of the United States all around the the world.

Credit: Excerpt Remarks, The Honorable Robert Dole, Former United States Senator, Time To Give Thanks Program, Women's Memorial Dedication Celebration, Oct 19, 1997

#11 Guest_engtec_*

Posted 02 August 2003 - 04:47 PM

I think Jessica has earned all the medels and rewards she has received so far and than some.As is said before Jessica served her country,but in this case she was also fighting for the free world including my country Canada.
As a Canadian i am proud of Jessica and i wish and prey that she recovers as fast as possible.
Anyone who questions the awards she has received so far,get a tape of her arrival at home. Jessica looked good,but she looked tired,i would say she is still fighting with the pain from her injurys,her war is not over and will last a long time. So i say to people who want to put down a hero of the free world,put your mind in first gear before you put your mouth in overdrive

#12 User is offline   jackbenney 

• Pip

Posted 09 August 2003 - 04:40 PM

Award of the Bronze Star can, as noted, occur as a specific act of valor directly witnessed by another soldier, or for meritorious achievement / service which is the overall performance of one's duty as merits an award of the Bronze Star sans the "V" Device for Valor.

For Jessica Lynch to receive a BSM w/ V there would have to have been a specific act of valor directly witnessed by one of her fellow soldiers and then submitted by that soldier in sworn narrative form. She, or any other soldier, can be recommended for a BSM for meritorious achievement / service which her actions as a POW would certainly qualify her for. To qualify for a "V" Device while in captivity there would have to be a witnessed act of valor by a living fellow service member.

Either way, the presentation of a Bronze Star is a valued wartime award. It's counterpart is the Meritorious Service Medal which is normally given during periods of peacetime. For example, most often one will see an MSM given for Operation Desert Spring (which precluded Iraqi Freedom) and a BSM for Iraqi Freedom.

When one takes into account PVT Lynch has been decorated with a Purple Heart; BSM; and the most significant medal of all - the POW Medal - it is clear her service to the Army and the Nation has been faithfully acknowledged. These decorations do not include the various campaign ribbons and medals which accompany her participation in those Operations she and her unit were involved in outside of her capture.

Interestingly enough I would imagine Jessica Lynch feels as many former POWs do regarding such awards. They would rather not have earned them under the circumstances they did, and they would gladly give them back to see their friends and comrades who were taken from them just one more time.

SFC Greg Walker
United States Army Special Forces

#13 Guest_patience2_*

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (greg walker @ Aug 9 2003, 05:40 PM)
Award of the Bronze Star can, as noted, occur as a specific act of valor directly witnessed by another soldier, or for meritorious achievement / service which is the overall performance of one's duty as merits an award of the Bronze Star sans the "V" Device for Valor.

For Jessica Lynch to receive a BSM w/ V there would have to have been a specific act of valor directly witnessed by one of her fellow soldiers and then submitted by that soldier in sworn narrative form.  She, or any other soldier, can be recommended for a BSM for meritorious achievement / service which her actions as a POW would certainly qualify her for.  To qualify for a "V" Device while in captivity there would have to be a witnessed act of valor by a living fellow service member.

Either way, the presentation of a Bronze Star is a valued wartime award.  It's counterpart is the Meritorious Service Medal which is normally given during periods of peacetime.  For example, most often one will see an MSM given for Operation Desert Spring (which precluded Iraqi Freedom) and a BSM for Iraqi Freedom.

When one takes into account PVT Lynch has been decorated with a Purple Heart; BSM; and the most significant medal of all - the POW Medal - it is clear her service to the Army and the Nation has been faithfully acknowledged.  These decorations do not include the various campaign ribbons and medals which accompany her participation in those Operations she and her unit were involved in outside of her capture.

Interestingly enough I would imagine Jessica Lynch feels as many former POWs do regarding such awards.  They would rather not have earned them under the circumstances they did, and they would gladly give them back to see their friends and comrades who were taken from them just one more time.

SFC Greg Walker
United States Army Special Forces

Thank You for the information and for filling in the gaps on this thread.

Welcome to the forum. smile.gif

#14 User is offline   lpdp71 

• Pip

Posted 13 August 2003 - 08:45 PM

sgt Greg Walker

Thanks for the info on the bronze star with v ---- there were no others left alive from the Humvee. Can the witness be a enemy soldier??

#15 User is offline   jackbenney 

• Pip

Posted 14 August 2003 - 09:38 PM

An interesting question.

To my knowledge the witness must be "a good guy".

And an American.

Coalition force members may submit an American for their nations' unique military awards and decorations, as an American military member may do so on behalf of a Coalition soldier. Such foreign awards / decorations can then be worn according to regulation by the awarded service member.

An interesting note to this -

Former FMLN guerrilla commander Gilberto Osorio, who commanded Marxist guerrilla forces in armed combat against U.S. Special Forces and selected conventional / aviation forces during El Salvador's decade long civil war was instrumental in seeing full combat recognition granted by the United States Congress / Military in 1998 to the veterans of our war in El Salvador. Osorio agreed to work with US veterans of that secret war to see the hard right done over the easy wrong in terms of proper and appropriate awards recognition. He went on the public record in both print and on CBS "60 Minutes" stating that the war turned against the then successful guerrilla insurgency when US "green berets" began fighting alongside the Salvadoran Armed Forces. He also assisted in securing the formal recognition of the FMLN as a former insurgency movement stating they lost the war due to US special operations and Marine/conventional force involvement in the war.

This heretofore unheard of endorsement by a former enemy carried great weight in Congress and with the military in conjunction with appropriate documentation and accounts of individual and team acts of heroism as presented to support formal recognition by our nation's government and military.

This includes two posthumous POW medals for two US helo aviators who were shot down in 1989 by the FMLN in El Salvador, captured by the guerrillas, and then executed. One of these brave men, Colonel David Pickett, is buried at Arlington. His grave stands quiet watch over a simple marble monument dedicated to those US soldiers, sailors, and Marines killed in El Salvador during its successful quest for freedom and democracy.

V/R

Greg Walker, author
"At the Hurricane's Eye - US Special Operations Forces from Vietnam to Desert Storm"

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users