• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jessica Going To Hawaii Accepts free Maui vacation

#1 User is offline   iron-bound 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 April 2003 - 06:46 PM

Hey people, check this out:

HONOLULU (KITV) -- Former POW Jessica Lynch is coming to Hawaii.

After she's fully recovered, Lynch will be on Maui for a free vacation. And now, state officials are offering free trips to the other POWs.

Lynch said that when she feels better, she's accepting the invitation extended by the Maui News to visit the Valley Isle. Tuesday, that invitation was expanded to POW Shoshana Johnson and six other American soldiers captured and released during the Iraq War.

The Maui News got involved when Jessica Lynch's West Virginia hometown paper mentioned Lynch's desire to visit Maui. Now, many Hawaii businesses want to help.

"The businesses in Hawaii have basically come out of the woodwork in support of this," said Marsha Wienert, director of the Maui Visitors Bureau.

Gov. Linda Lingle said the visits by the POWs will be tremendous publicity for Hawaii.

"We think that sends the exact (right) message; that is, we are the kind of place when you really want to rejuvenate yourself, to heal yourself, Hawaii is a great place to come," said Lingle.

Continental Airlines Tuesday offered free airfare for the POWs on the new Houston to Maui daily flight that begins in June.

The state's military leader said he hopes the POW's will talk to troops on all the islands.

"I think it will add quite a bit to recruitment," said Gen. Robert Lee.

Organizers said they are not sure which POWs will accept the vacation invitation or when they might come. But a few of the details have been worked out. The offer is to send each American POW to Hawaii on a free one-week all-expenses-paid trip any time up until next May.

The POWs' family members will also be invited to accompany them to Hawaii.

---

Well, hopefully Jessica and the other ex-POWs will have some time to relax a bit. Hawaii seems like a nice place to do just that. Although I've argued in other threads that the media won't be too much of a problem for Lynch, I do believe that she will have some difficulty evading them once she's in Maui.

If it becomes too much of a problem, she could probably stay at Schofield barracks (home of the 25th INF), though that's on Oahu. It certainly would provide her with the accommodations and security, if she desires it.

#2 User is offline   juergen 

• Pip

Posted 29 April 2003 - 10:53 PM

Well that sounds like fun. tongue.gif

#3 User is offline   Penny/Don 

• Pip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 30 April 2003 - 12:19 AM

I'm happy for Jessica, her family; and all the former POW's smile.gif

I've never been to Hawaii, but my sister and her husband have and say it's awesome smile.gif

#4 User is offline   atomeye 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 05:50 AM

she has really chance of go to Hawaii, I am really content for she !!! biggrin.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users