Jessica Lynch Forums: Story Of Indians Being Enslaved Is False. - Jessica Lynch Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Story Of Indians Being Enslaved Is False.

#1 User is offline   jessefan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 21 May 2004 - 07:01 PM

That story was apparently spun by malicious forces.

http://news.newkerala.com/kerala-news/?act...llnews&id=18193

Kerala News > 'No exploitation in Iraq military camps'

Thiruvananthapuram, May 21 (IANS) :

In a bizarre turnaround, a 25-year-old Keralite who had complained of ill-treatment in US military camps in Iraq denied that either he or any other Indians had been exploited by the occupying forces.

Addressing a press conference here Friday, H.K. Manzoor was, however, hard put to explain why he was retracting on statements he made a month ago about being made to slave in the US camps for a pittance and being forced to cook pork, which is abhorrent for Muslims.

At the same time, he said there was no question of his going back to Iraq.

"I had gone from here with three others to Kuwait. We were later taken to Iraq and we worked there. The reason I am holding this press conference is because I find from newspaper reports that a lot of things that did not happen to us have appeared in newspapers. I just want to tell the truth," Manzoor claimed.

Manzoor had met Kerala Chief Minister A.K. Antony last week and demanded action be taken against the travel agent who had connived to send him and three others to Iraq on the pretext of finding them jobs in Kuwait.

Accompanying Manzoor at the press conference were the office bearers of Non-resident Indians and Returnees Widows Welfare Association, which claims the issue is being blown out of proportion to drive a wedge between the US and Muslims.

"There were no hardships as reported in the newspapers. All of us were kitchen helpers and we prepared pork because it was our job. I don't find anything wrong with this.

"We were not abused by the US forces. We were made to work overtime and for that we were paid," said Manzoor.

Association office bearer R. Subhas Chandra Bose said reports of Indians being ill-treated in Iraq were false.

"We have found out from relatives of those working in Iraq that there has been no harassment. The family members also agree that all those who have returned are in better health," Bose said.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users