• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Military Family Wins This One.

#1 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

Thank you, Baltimore jurors, for the verdict on this one.
We discussed this issue on the forum when the individual States were enacting legislation to put some sort of constraints on these radicals.

Kansas church liable in Marine funeral protest

By Jon HurdleWed Oct 31, 7:24 PM ET

A jury on Wednesday ordered an anti-gay Kansas church to pay $10.9 million in damages to relatives of a U.S. Marine who died in Iraq after church members cheered his death at his funeral.

Church members said Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's death was God's punishment of America for tolerating homesexuality, and they attended his 2006 funeral in Maryland with signs saying "You're going to hell" and "God hates you."

The federal jury determined the Westboro Baptist Church, based in Topeka, and three of its principals invaded the privacy of the dead man's family and inflicted emotional distress.

Albert Snyder, the Marine's father, testified that his son was not gay, but the church targeted the military as a symbol of America's tolerance of gays. Matthew Snyder died in combat in Iraq in March 2006.

The jury awarded Snyder's family $2.9 million in compensatory damages plus $8 million in punitive damages in the first civil suit against the church, which has demonstrated at some 300 military funerals the past two years.

The lawsuit said church Web sites vilified U.S. soldiers, accusing them of being indoctrinated by "FASHIONABLE propaganda."

"I hope it's enough to deter them from doing this to other families. It was not about the money. It was about getting them to stop," said Snyder, of York, Pennsylvania.

The church, which is unaffiliated with any major denomination, is headed by Rev. Fred Phelps, who has led a campaign against homesexuality for years. Most of the estimated 70 members of the church belong to his extended family.

"It will take the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals a few minutes to reverse this silly thing," Phelps said.

His daughter and co-defendant, Shirley Phelps-Roper, vowed to continue protesting military funerals and called the court's decision a blow against free speech.

Outside court on Wednesday, Phelps and his children waved placards with slogans such as "Pray for more dead kids" and "God hates FASHIONABLE enablers," while passing drivers and pedestrians shouted abuse at them.

Defense attorney Jonathan Katz urged jurors not to award punitive damages because the $2.9 million in compensatory damages was already three times the defendants' net worth.

"It's enough already to bankrupt them and financially destroy them," Katz said.

Craig Trebilsock puppet, an attorney for Snyder, said jurors should award sufficient punitive damages to deter Westboro from repeating its actions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071031/ts_nm/...EXKTD5Z7IVg.3QA

#2 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:45 AM

A little more background about the Church group and their protests.
Mike Gallagher was on T.V. this morning and once again has invited one of the members some airtime on his talk show if they cancel a planned protest. In this case, if I heard correctly, his offer was aimed at stopping a protest at the burials of the victims of the recent beach fire in N.C. There were few details given so I hope I heard that right. In any case, I'll excerpt from an article in a 2006 news report. It concerns a planned protest at the burial of the Amish children who were murdered at their school.
The controversial anti-homesexual Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., has canceled its plans to stage a protest at the funerals of the five Amish girls executed in their Pennsylvania school, a church official said Wednesday.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, the daughter of church's pastor, told FOXNews.com the group canceled the protests in exchange for an hour of radio time Thursday on syndicated talk-show host Mike Gallagher's radio program.

"We're not going to any of the Amish funerals — that's the agreement we're making — that we won't go to any of them," Phelps-Roper told FOXNews.com.

We are delivering a message," Phelps-Roper said. "God is punishing this nation and he is using the IED [improvised explosive device] as his weapon of choice."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,217760,00.html

#3 User is offline   Laracroft 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:26 AM

This is great! Cooool! Magnificent! the only thing better would be if they got sentenced to 20 yrs in prison. I wish this would put them out of bussiness. Yeapy Yeapy. thanks patience for this posts best news Ive had in awhile. I wish more families would sue them one at a time. so they spend all there time in courts and dont have time to hurt other famlies.

#4 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(Laracroft @ Nov 2 2007, 08:26 AM) View Post

This is great! Cooool! Magnificent! the only thing better would be if they got sentenced to 20 yrs in prison. I wish this would put them out of bussiness. Yeapy Yeapy. thanks patience for this posts best news Ive had in awhile. I wish more families would sue them one at a time. so they spend all there time in courts and dont have time to hurt other famlies.

Hot off the press, Laracroft. I think your wish has been granted, although this issue relates to another of the group's malicious protests.

Excerpt:
Dylan Slagle/AP Photo
Legal Fights Highlight Church's Message
By TIMBERLY ROSS
Associated Press Writer

OMAHA, Neb. - The fiery message of the Westboro Baptist Church has led its followers into a fight for what they say are their First Amendment rights.

After what would appear at first glance to be a setback in one court, the group heads to another one on charges that include flag mutilation - and members of the Topeka, Kan.-based church could not be happier.

"Our message has exploded all over the world," a delighted Shirley Phelps-Roper said Thursday.
Phelps-Roper, 50, is to appear in Sarpy County Court on Monday on charges of flag mutilation, negligent child abuse, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and disturbing the peace. The charges were filed after Phelps-Roper allowed her 10-year-old son to stand on the flag while protesting at a Bellevue soldier's funeral in June.

Sarpy County Attorney Lee Polikov said when the Westboro followers specifically target grieving families, "they don't really deserve the protection of freedom of speech, freedom of religion."

Phelps-Roper's attorney, Bassel El-Kasaby, said he has asked that the case be thrown out because the charges are unconstitutional. El-Kasaby was hired by the Nebraska ACLU to represent Phelps-Roper.

Nebraska's flag law defines flag mutilation as when a "person intentionally casts contempt or ridicule upon a flag by mutilating, defacing, defiling, burning or trampling upon such flag."

The ACLU will no doubt win their free speech battle, but how ironic that the soldiers who have fought and died for these freedoms are denied their freedom, or their families' freedoms, to bury their fallen with peace and dignity. There is something wrong with picture.
http://kevxml2adsl.verizon.net/_1_22S1TO10...ed=ap&top=1

#5 User is offline   Matt Wiser 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:11 PM

Let's hope they lose on appeal, too. This "church" is more like a cult. And from looking at the Kansas media, it's composed of the extended family of this Phelps fella. Several of their members are also lawyers. Their main source of income happens to be lawsuit settlements, as they try to push the envelope, sue, and collect a hefty payout. Well, in this case, someone victimized by their actions decided to push back, and they don't like it a bit. There is a fine line between free speech and harassment. And IMHO, this bunch crossed that line when they started picketing servicemembers' funerals. Harassing grieving family members is not a good way to make whatever point it is you're trying to get across. A story via google news had the plaintiff, Mr. Snyder, already starting the process of putting a lien on the church's property to satisfy the judgement.
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect, but always have ready a plan to kill them.

Old USMC Adage

#6 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

Matt Wiser Posted Yesterday, 11:11 PM
Excerpt from Matt's post.
And IMHO, this bunch crossed that line when they started picketing servicemembers' funerals. Harassing grieving family members is not a good way to make whatever point it is you're trying to get across. A story via google news had the plaintiff, Mr. Snyder, already starting the process of putting a lien on the church's property to satisfy the judgement.

Also, slandering the Amish community in their moment of grief is beyond comprehension.

"Those Amish people, everyone is sitting around talking about those poor little girls — blah, blah, blah — they brought the wrath upon themselves," Phelps-Roper said, adding that the Amish "don't serve God, they serve themselves."

Quote is from the link posted above.

#7 User is offline   Matt Wiser 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

Unfortunately, this outfit's going to get some more undeserved publicity: there's going to be an HBO documentary on this bunch of lunatics (or zealots, cultists, or whatever you wish to call them). No airdate yet announced by HBO (which gives them time to reconsider giving these.....idiots more free publicity).
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect, but always have ready a plan to kill them.

Old USMC Adage

#8 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:22 AM

Matt Wiser Posted Yesterday, 08:26 PM
Unfortunately, this outfit's going to get some more undeserved publicity: there's going to be an HBO documentary on this bunch of lunatics (or zealots, cultists, or whatever you wish to call them). No airdate yet announced by HBO (which gives them time to reconsider giving these.....idiots more free publicity).

Do you think this might be a re-run of HBO's previous documentary, "The Laramie Project?"
The Laramie Project
Phelps giving an interview about The Laramie Project in 2000

Many of Westboro's pickets revolve around the play The Laramie Project; Phelps says he consistently sends his followers across the country to picket every performance he finds out about.[22][23] The play documents the reaction of the people of Laramie, Wyoming to the murder of Matthew Shepard.

Phelps is a character in the play and is portrayed negatively. When the play was made into a movie by HBO, (The Laramie Project), Phelps and the WBC traveled to New York City to picket the HBO home offices with signs reading "United You'll Fall."[24]
“ The Laramie Project is a tawdry bit of banal FASHIONABLE melodrama – sordid, cheap, unaffecting, drearily predictable – without the least artistic or literary merit or redeeming social value. Indeed, its only purpose is to promote sinful, soul-damning sodomy by playing on the sick, maudlin emotions of doomed, godless America and thereby to recruit ill-bred teenagers to lives of sin, shame, disease, death and hell.[25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps

#9 User is offline   Matt Wiser 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:54 AM

Patience, I don't think so: it's not in my Dish Network program guide for December. From what I recall, it's a new documentary about the Phelps "cult" (my words) and their despicable protests whenever there's a tragedy: servicemembers' funerals, the murdered Amish kids, the college students killed in that S.C. fire, even the West Virginia Miners who died in that mine collapse a couple years ago. These....people don't need any more free publicity-every time they make the news with some outrageous protest, they get what they want in a 30-sec sound bite. They don't need an hour-long documentary, IMHO.

Old USMC Adage

#10 User is offline   Laracroft 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:40 AM

I wish instead doing a HBO special on this cult (Idiots). they would do it on the people they have harmed instead. would not even mention this ridiculous cult (Idiots) by name.

QUOTE(Matt Wiser @ Dec 1 2007, 01:54 AM) View Post

Patience, I don't think so: it's not in my Dish Network program guide for December. From what I recall, it's a new documentary about the Phelps "cult" (my words) and their despicable protests whenever there's a tragedy: servicemembers' funerals, the murdered Amish kids, the college students killed in that S.C. fire, even the West Virginia Miners who died in that mine collapse a couple years ago. These....people don't need any more free publicity-every time they make the news with some outrageous protest, they get what they want in a 30-sec sound bite. They don't need an hour-long documentary, IMHO.

#11 User is offline   Dilligafst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:16 PM

With luck, this cult will soon go the way of the other like it -- into disappearance. What is ashame is that so many followed this cult or religion or whatever it is. It seems that in this land where so-called freedom, if it really exists, is lauded as a virtue so many want to be converted and led by some dupe masquerading as a prophet. Hope they get sued out of existence.

#12 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Laracroft @ Dec 2 2007, 07:40 AM) View Post

I wish instead doing a HBO special on this cult (Idiots). they would do it on the people they have harmed instead. would not even mention this ridiculous cult (Idiots) by name.

QUOTE(Matt Wiser @ Dec 1 2007, 01:54 AM) View Post

Laracroft,
You hit the nail on the head with that one. These persons were planning a visit to PA. about 2 weeks ago, to protest at the burial of a soldier who was home from Iraq but killed in a motor accident. Somewhere in between Kansas and PA they changed their minds. In any case, the motorcyclist group were on hand to welcome them had they arrived.
They also threatened to sue Gov. Rendell (PA) for slander. I think he called them lunatics when they were planning to make an appearance at the Amish children's funeral.
I also agree Matt, they don't deserve an hour long documentary. As depressing as this group is, it's hard for me to figure out HBO's motivation for the project. I don't subscribe to HBO so I would be interested in your opinion of the project if you watch it. That is, why did they do it.

#13 User is offline   Dilligafst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:28 AM

It's easy to figure out why HBO is doing a documentary. Money and Ratings. Since I am unAmerican, unpatriotic, not red-white-and-blue because I lack a television to view the incessant ads for things we do not need that our consumer society is trying to hawk to us, I will, fortunately, never see it. But cults like these are always a problem. It is one minister/leader, whatever, that has a vision of his or her own greatness and, perhaps, a bit of the profit motive as well, and manages to convince others that need a leader to follow them. They can cause immeasurable harm.

#14 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(Dilligafst @ Dec 6 2007, 11:28 AM) View Post

It's easy to figure out why HBO is doing a documentary. Money and Ratings. Since I am unAmerican, unpatriotic, not red-white-and-blue because I lack a television to view the incessant ads for things we do not need that our consumer society is trying to hawk to us, I will, fortunately, never see it. But cults like these are always a problem. It is one minister/leader, whatever, that has a vision of his or her own greatness and, perhaps, a bit of the profit motive as well, and manages to convince others that need a leader to follow them. They can cause immeasurable harm.

True. Money and ratings are a "given."
These are the folks who ran The Sopranos series. I saw two or three episodes of that one, to satisfy my curiosity as to why people were so fascinated by it. I never did figure out what the interest was. I concluded people just watched to see who was going to be "whacked" in any given episode. But that was a show for adults, so no harm done.
I agree with your conclusion above, regarding cults.
"Cults like these can cause immeasurable harm" and therein lies the problem.

#15 User is offline   Dilligafst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

As Oscar Wilde put it rather succinctly in one of his off-hand quips, "Religion is a fashionable substitute for faith." It is still true today.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users