Jessica Lynch Forums: Please Show Some Restraint - Jessica Lynch Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please Show Some Restraint and don't watch this film!

#1 User is offline   jean 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 November 2003 - 09:53 AM

I wrote this yesterday but hesitated in posting it, so I saved it to Word. Over the last few months I have voiced my concern several times about this film and the consequences of this film. After what I have read today I have decided to post this and plead with those who are planning to or thinking about watching this film - to please not watchi it.

Furthermore I thought the film was called "Saving Private Lynch". Afterall she was a soldier at the time. So if true it seems rather disrespectful to now call it "Saving Jessica Lynch"!

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I really feel that if you cared for and had respect for Jessica Lynch and all the other members of the 507th and their families then you wouldn't be watching the movie.

Jessica Lynch never sanctioned it. And there’s a reason why which only she knows.

But it's not just about her. It's only been eight months since the incident. Their graves are barely cold.

There's the other five ex-POWs, those that were injured but escaped, those that escaped without injury and those that gave the ultimate sacrifice - their lives. And what of the families of those that died or who are dealing with soldiers that survived but may be still coming to terms with it.

It's far too soon.

This film hasn't been made out of the goodness of NBCs hearts. The producer said it was going to be an "action adventure". How sick!

People died. Others were injured physically, but perhaps the mental scars haven't surfaced yet - and he's making light of what happened by calling it an "action adventure".

They're making it for money - pure and simple greed. And by watching it you're condoning it so that next time they'll do it again - make another film of somebody who's been through an ordeal because they know there's an audience. the only way to stop these monsters is to boycott them.

Consumers wield an awful lot of power, because without us businesses won't earn money! And company directors can’t become multi-millionaires.

So please, think long and hard before you watch this movie. Think of the families, the other 507s, and the children and young siblings of those it concerns.

Think of Spc Lori Piestewa's children. How are they going to feel watching a woman playing their mummy on tv sad.gif , getting their hopes up smile.gif because they may not realise it's only a film, and if they accidentally see it they may think mummies coming home smile.gif , or they may get upset sad.gif because they know she's never coming home and watching this actress will be a painful reminder to ones so young sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif .

I've used Spc Piestewa's children as an example, but they're not the only children of the 507th - be they offspring or young siblings.

If it helps I read somewhere that Jessica Lynch was negotiating a movie - so wait for that one to come out. At least then more time would have passed.

Please, stop and think before you watch...

#2 User is offline   randy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2003 - 04:58 PM

Sorry Jean, but I am watching! Not to show my support for NBC, but to see the movie that everyone is talking about. I will not be able to see it until Monday or Tuesday because of the shift that I work, but I will see it.

I am not sure what your motivation is, though you spent a lot of time explaining it. What will NBC lose if we do not see it? What will I lose if I do not see it? When I weigh them both, I don't see anybody losing or winning, I only see entertainment. Of course I have been around long enough to know that Star Wars has not happened yet, Jesse Jackson has not declared the Andy Griffith Show as racist yet, and Saddam Hussien and Bin Laden have not been captured yet, but these things will come to pass. I also do not believe everything I see and hear, nor everything that I feel, so I guess I kind of rely on "If it walks like a duck, if it sounds like a duck, and it looks like a duck, it might be one," but not necessarily so.

Everyone take a couple of breaths, relax, and enjoy the unfolding of the next book. I do wish Homer Hickman is the author.

#3 User is offline   ANDY 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2003 - 03:56 PM

I agree with Jean it is far too early for a film like this to be shown.Are they actually going to show shots of American soldiers being killed?Does anybody know what the feeings are of the families of the eleven that were killed?I dont think that a film like this should be shown for at least 2 years after the event.

#4 User is offline   jessefan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 09 November 2003 - 11:24 AM

Ditto.

#5 User is offline   Kicks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2003 - 11:33 AM

I don't know if it's right or wrong to watch it. If you are opposed to it maybo you should have written to the sponsors of the movie and let them know that you would not purchase their products. Networks get their money from the sponsors paying for commercial time. That price goes up based on the expected number of viewers. If the sponsors had an idea of low viewing, then the networks would stand a chance to lose money on it.

But I wonder; wouldn't it be interesting to see how far off the network is from the truth? If Jessica's book, based on first hand account, totally disputes the network's scripted version, then the network has egg on it's face.

I wonder if the book should have been released first, then the properly informed public viewing the movie would be able to say "These guys don't know what they're talking about. What a bunch of goobers" (no offense to the makers of 'Goobers' ™ candy. They're my favorite at the movies. wink.gif

#6 User is offline   FutureNavyLady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2003 - 05:07 PM

I hate to say, I am not watching tonight, because I don't get that channel.. but my parents are recording it for me!

#7 User is offline   fastaljr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2003 - 11:55 PM

I watched it only for the reason to see how bad that NBC changed the facts. It was really sad that the people at NBC cant realize that what they put on the tv what so incredibly wrong it wasnt funny. I really think it was not worth the effort or the money of NBC to produce something so wrong.

Anyhoo in retrospect I`m looking forward to seeing the "REAL JESSICA" this coming week.

#8 User is offline   DareDevilShinobi 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2003 - 12:54 AM

I actually saw this so called movie and I must say that it was WRONG almost in every single way. Now don't get me wrong. i think Jessie L is totally Hard core to the extreme and give her her props, but this movie don't do her justice. they forgot so many details an not to mention the acting was just horrible. Shots were WAY off, the lighting was just totally rancid. and the actress who portrayed Jessie? two words. acting lessons.

not to mention the exploitation of Jessie her self and eveyrthing else was just awful. shame on NBC for making this.

#9 User is offline   cde2227 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2003 - 01:05 AM

Well, you may not like me, due to the fact that I watched the NBC movie, but I was quite disappointed in it.

You see, there was far too much information left out of the movie, especially pertaining to the members of the 507th other than Jessica. Now, obviously the movie was particularly about her, but even details of her capture were played out sketchy at best. The truth is, the movie had very little to do with Jessica and the 507th Maintenance Company.

I will be much more excited and look forward to reading a book or seeing a show that is officially endorsed and taken from Jessica Lynch herself. I really hope to find out more in Jessica's interview with Diane Sawyer on Tuesday! Hearing it from Jessica's own mouth, will be much more worthwhile and much easier for me to believe!

In the end, NBC made this movie to try and make money. Just to show them that they were wrong, I hope more people watched the Elizabeth Smart Story on CBS, by the way I taped both of them and will tape Jessi's interview on Primetime, Tuesday.

Besides, the only one who should be allowed to make a dime off any of this, is Jessica. After all, it is her personal life, and not the least bit her fault that the media went crazy over it. She had to live through it, she should be the only one allowed to make anything more of it, it is her right!

#10 User is offline   Fluffv 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2003 - 01:07 AM

I would go so far as to say that the movie and the way that it is made shows the exact opposite of what Jessi and Wirt County are (in my humble opinion).
It was done in extremely poor taste... but that's how things go. It had to be extremely painful for her to see such blatant lies. It was nothing more than the compilation of the half-truths we've been hearing for months. It's a shame that they would do something such as that movie to a group of people that really and truly represent the kindest and best people I have ever met in my life.

I've never been a Jessi or Wirt County fan... I just like people that when I see them I see God reflected back... don't need a movie for that.

#11 User is offline   Gen,Merc,DSR 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:40 AM

Jean, the movie aired today. I watched it as you did too I'm sure. I feel it was very good and helped us all realize what Pfc. Lynch endured as did the rest of the 507th. The movie was both moving aswell as imformative. I must disagree with you sir..

#12 User is offline   Fluffv 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2003 - 03:08 PM

It would have been better if it was called the 507th Maintence Story because it really was a play on her name to get ratings, and she hadn't endorsed it.
Be it by legal loop-hole or not... I wasn't impressed.
I don't go on opinions, only facts. Facts are facts.

#13 User is offline   jean 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2003 - 06:40 PM

I must disagree with you sir..

Firstly I am not a Sir. I am a woman!!!

I watched it as you did too I'm sure

Wrong again. Firstly I do not agree with it being made. I did email NBC to ask them for their address as I wanted to complain about a movie being made. but I never heard from NBC. Personally if I could I would boycott the entire network, especially after a show I saw aired on CNBC Europe the other day which deeply offended me I would, so I will just have to make do with boycotting CNBC Europe.

Even if I had wanted to watch it, I couldn't because I live in Great Britain and don't have access to NBC.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users