• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Courage Under Fire Navy corpsman receives Bronze Star

#1 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:56 AM

We rarely hear about these acts of heroism on news broadcasts.
Congratulations Petty Officer 3rd Class Jason Deguzman.
He explained what it felt like to receive the award.

“It was so amazing, I don’t even know what to say,� he explained. “This is my first big award, and the honor I felt was overwhelming.�

After only being in the Navy for nearly two years, Deguzman said he looks forward to the rest of his career.

“I enjoy this job and love working with Marines,� he said. “This award was truly an honor and I’m thankful to have been recognized

Petty Officer 3rd Class Jason Deguzman

Corpsman Receives Bronze Star

By Lance Cpl. Lucian Friel
2nd Marine Division

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C., Jan. 27, 2006 — In combat, Navy corpsmen are relied on to be ready to treat any type of injury or mass casualty situation, sometimes risking their own lives in the process.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Jason C. Deguzman, from Santa Rosa, Calif., did this more than once, earning him the Bronze Star Medal for his achievement during combat operations.

On May 13, 2005, the corpsman with Company C, 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division responded to mass casualties that happened when a crowded civilian bus collided into the rear of a light armored vehicle.

The 22-year-old took control of caring for more than 30 wounded personnel, 10 with life threatening injuries. Because of his actions and quick thinking, all Marine and Iraqi casualties were treated and transported to receive the appropriate level of care.

Deguzman responded to another life threatening incident three days later. On May 16, his vehicle was attacked with an improvised explosive device, wounding him and five of the seven Marines in his vehicle.

Once he regained consciousness, Deguzman worked himself out of the damaged vehicle. Ignoring his own injuries and the threat of a secondary attack, he rendered life saving treatment to his scout team leader.
Deguzman’s actions earned him the Bronze Star Medal, one of the military’s most prestigious awards.

He received the medal from Brig. Gen. Joseph J. McMenamin, the assistant division commander, during a ceremony here Jan. 20.

He explained what it felt like to receive the award.

“It was so amazing, I don’t even know what to say,� he explained. “This is my first big award, and the honor I felt was overwhelming.�

After only being in the Navy for nearly two years, Deguzman said he looks forward to the rest of his career.

“I enjoy this job and love working with Marines,� he said. “This award was truly an honor and I’m thankful to have been recognized.�

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users