Jessica Lynch Forums: Woman Finds A Way To Support Sgt. Maupin - Jessica Lynch Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Woman Finds A Way To Support Sgt. Maupin

#1 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:45 AM

user posted image

"The first thing I thought was what can I do for this man," Monnin said.

"More than any physical thing we can send to the troops, they need our moral support," she said. "They need to hear 'thank you' and know America stands behind them."

The First Time She Saw His Face

http://www.aiipowmia.com/inter25/in250805hisface.html
25 August, 2005
Yellow Ribbon volunteer's long drive worth it
By Emily Creditt Staff Reporter

The first time she saw his face on television, Terri Monnin knew she had to find a way to show her support for missing soldier Sgt. Matt Maupin.

Monnin started making the hour and a half drive from her home in Dayton to Clermont County to attend various events after Maupin went missing in Iraq April 9, 2004.

"The first thing I thought was what can I do for this man," Monnin said.

Monnin said her first trip to the area was to help other volunteers tie the yellow ribbons throughout the county, an event that has become a Friday night ritual for Maupin's mother, Carolyn, and other volunteers at the Yellow Ribbon Support Center in Eastgate.

Monnin said she now makes the trip one to two times a week, often more.

"When I see people come (into the Yellow Ribbon Center) it makes my heart feel warm and we do it every Friday night," Carolyn Maupin said.

Monnin said was originally introduced to the Yellow Ribbon Support Center by Carolyn and Keith Maupin and has gotten to know the family well and through them, has gotten to know Matt.

"I really feel like through being with Keith, Carolyn, and Micah (Matt's brother) I've really gotten to know Matt," she said.

Monnin will represent the Maupin family at an air show in Lancaster, laying an MIA/POW wreath at the event in Matt's honor, Carolyn said.

"We had another event and we can't be in two places at once," Carolyn said. "So (Monnin) will be there for us."

Monnin said her commitment to serving the troops and volunteering so far away from home is fed by her desire to show her support for Matt Maupin.

"I'm proud of Matt and (volunteering) is something I can do to show that I support him and I believe in him," she said. "(The volunteers at the center) are people who just want to support the Maupins and people, like me, who are thankful to those serving."

June Bailey, who volunteers at the Yellow Ribbon Center almost everyday, said once a volunteer begins using their time support for those serving overseas, it's life changing.

"Once you get (to Yellow Ribbon) and get into the mix of everything, it becomes very difficult not to come here every day," Bailey said. "We want to support Carolyn and Keith and all of the troops."

Monnin said her time at Yellow Ribbon is simply a way to show her gratitude to those in Iraq and Afghanistan, during a time when they most need the support of those at home.

"More than any physical thing we can send to the troops, they need our moral support," she said. "They need to hear 'thank you' and know America stands behind them."

"Freedom isn't free and working at Yellow Ribbon allows me to pay back a very small piece of what they've given," she said.

The Yellow Ribbon Support Center makes yellow ribbons every Friday night. For more information call 752-4310.
© 2005 The Community Press

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users