Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4th Anniversary 9/11

#1 User is offline   AndyW8 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:57 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you all on this sad Anniversary.

Andy

#2 User is offline   mainzman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:09 PM

On this very sad, yet difining anniversary of the date that changed the world as we know it, I was thinking about my young neices and nephews. The world they will grow up in is far different than a majority of us grew up in.
When the young children of our world become adults in 10 or 20 yaers, what will their world be like and how will they view their world?

#3 User is offline   Beretta63 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

It seems hard to fathom that four years have passed. For me anyway.

It is indeed a date that unfortunately changed the world,in many ways.

#4 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:38 PM

A fitting tribute. Honoring the spirit of freedom that will live forever.

http://www.aiipowmia.com/inter25/in9112005.html

#5 User is offline   Soprano84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.org/911tribute/...et_memorium.htm

I posted this last year...takes awhile to load, but worth it.

The music is "You'll Never Walk Alone" as played by the Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps, Madison, WI (it's their corps song)

#6 User is offline   loudboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:22 PM

Im watching that corrmetive movie on the heros of flight 93. Its gunna be pretty sad
i think. The Flight 93 memorial is about 20 miles form me. It is very powerful and emotional. If you arent crying or sheading a tear by the thime u leave, there is something wrong with you.

#7 User is offline   SfcBRowan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:11 PM

For all those who remember that fatal day years ago, I would like to add That you had to be there to see first hand the devastation. The fire department that I worked for during that time, after the second plane hit, we made our way to assist our fellow brothers. We drove 16hrs to get there. There was alot of days we went without sleep but we did our duty as I did In Desert Shield. May we honor those who have fallen for us then and each day

#8 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (SfcBRowan @ Sep 12 2005, 11:11 PM)
For all those who remember that fatal day years ago, I would like to add That you had to be there to see first hand the devastation. The fire department that I worked for during that time, after the second plane hit, we made our way to assist our fellow brothers. We drove 16hrs to get there. There was alot of days we went without sleep but we did our duty as I did In Desert Shield. May we honor those who have fallen for us then and each day

"Courage Under Fire."
These are excerpts from an article that was written by Peggy Noonan Oct. 5, 2001. The entire article can be accessed at the following website. It is well worth reading.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/p...an/?id=95001272
Three hundred firemen. This is the part that reorders your mind when you think of it. For most of the 5,000 dead were there--they just happened to be there, in the buildings, at their desks or selling coffee or returning e-mail. But the 300 didn't happen to be there, they went there. In the now-famous phrase, they ran into the burning building and not out of the burning building. They ran up the stairs, not down, they went into it and not out of it. They didn't flee, they charged. It was just before 9 a.m. and the shift was changing, but the outgoing shift raced to the towers and the incoming shift raced with them. That's one reason so many were there so quickly, and the losses were so heavy. Because no one went home. They all came.
So it was like D-Day, but it was also like the charge of the Light Brigade. Into the tower of death strode the three hundred. And though we continue to need reporters to tell us all the facts, to find out the stories of what the firemen did in those towers, and though reporters have done a wonderful, profoundly appreciative job of that, what we need most now is different.

We need a poet

The Light Brigade had Tennyson. It was the middle of the Crimean War and the best of the British light cavalry charged on open terrain in the Battle of Balaclava. Of the 600 men who went in, almost half were killed or wounded, and when England's poet laureate, Alfred Lord Tennyson, learned of it, he turned it into one of the most famous poems of a day when poems were famous:

Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
  Volley'd and thunder'd:
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,