Jessica Lynch Forums: Journalist Says Al-qaida Has Briefcase Nukes - Jessica Lynch Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Journalist Says Al-qaida Has Briefcase Nukes

#1 User is offline   jessefan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:32 PM

Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s terror network claims to have bought ready-made nuclear weapons on the black market in central Asia, the biographer of al-Qaida's No. 2 leader was quoted as telling an Australian television station.

In an interview scheduled to be televised on Monday, Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir said Ayman al-Zawahri claimed that "smart briefcase bombs" were available on the black market.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...l_qaida_nuclear

#2 User is offline   ticker 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:49 AM

I did some further reading about these Portable Nuclear Demolition Charges after first seeing this article. It's alarming that Al Queada may have such a weapon, but not as terrifying when you see the problems the device presents for them. A nuclear weapon has to be maintained by trained technicians with specialized equipment in a proper facility. The nuclear core and the explosive charge that compresses the core to create the chain reaction need to be refurbished regularly as they tend to deteriorate and become unstable. Also, the Russian nuke suitcases have to be armed to be used and the proper codes are needed to arm them. If they were stolen from Russia without the codes, they would be useless as bombs, although the nuclear core could be harvested for use in a (really) dirty bomb.

#3 User is offline   jessefan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for that. The report had me worried too. Your info makes it sound like the dirty bomb is the route they'll have to take. But I'm having suspicions now that the story is being circulated now to warn off the colition from trying to capture the No. 2 guy they susposedly had surrounded. The last I heard is that whoever they had surrounded had already escaped the net by way of a very long underground tunnel. Its like trying to stomp out roaches.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users