• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Common Bonds POWs

#1 User is offline   Kicks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:37 PM

I was wondering if anyone in this forum have formed a connection with Jessica or any of the other POW's because they have themselves or a family member been a POW. If so, I invite you to tell your story. We have mentioned how important it is for Jessica to talk with other POW's about her experience. I'd like to share mine with you.

My father was a POW during the Korean war. He was about Jessi's age when he was captured and held for 27 months (minus the short time he had escaped). This is from the family history book I am writing:

user posted image
Clyde Livaudais was a corporal when, on May 19, 1951, he was captured when his battalion was overrun and taken prisoner of war by the Chinese. It was in the evening of May 17, while the U.S. troops on Karisan Mountain, northeast of Hongchun, were maintaining a general fire on the Chinese forces in the front, which one of the Chinese units broke through the U.S. defensive line. The unit had approached one of the peaks from the rear and destroyed four wire entanglements and cleared away the mines on the mountainside without being noticed.

Other Chinese units arrived by midnight and followed in a wedge formation penetrating the U.S. defensive line. They hurled hand-grenades at the tents of the officers of the 38th Regiment. The U.S. soldiers took cover in their bunkers and began to defend their position. Fierce fighting broke out that lasted several days.

During this time the Chinese cut off the highway south of Taisutong, blocking the road by wrecking a U.S. truck. This cut off any attempt to evacuate the 100 trucks and armored cars through the valley. The American troops fought back bravely against insurmountable odds, but the Chinese forces continued to advance. They attacked the mountain from the front, taking one peak after another.

On May 19, the Chinese fought off counter attacks by the U.S. 2nd Division and the Syngman Rhee troops. Despite heavy losses, the Chinese were able to take over the Mountain. Most of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd U.S. Battalions were lost with nearly 1,000 Americans killed and almost 800 captured.

The Chinese captors begun marching their prisoners towards the prison camp to the north. On Livaudais' first night of captivity the prisoners were crowded into an abandoned mine shaft where there was barely enough oxygen to breath. That night several men died from being crammed into the rear of the shaft and not having enough air to breathe.

The journey took the prisoners through treacherous mountain trails hundreds of miles north. Their only food was a long, cylinder bag of ground or powdered millet, which was usually, bug infested. This led to many developing dysentery. Those who stopped along the way would be executed. So the prisoners endured the illnesses, the starvation, the heavy rains and bitter cold in their struggle to survive. When marching through towns the civilians beat them with rocks and sticks. Many men died along the way, and even after reaching the prison camp there were daily deaths.

Many of the prisoners died to disease or wounds that were never treated. During Livaudais' time as a prison of war at Camp 1, in the village of Chang Song near the Yalu River boundary of Manchuria, there was little to do and much to fear, such as the malnutrition he developed and the indoctrination sessions run by his Chinese captors. But most of all were those times when, in the middle of the night, guards would come and drag out prisoners who would never be seen again. Nearly 400 men disappeared in this manner. No one knew why these men were taken or what ever happened to them.

They were housed in small huts so small and crowded that they had to sleep on their sides and all had to turn over at the same time. Sanitation was a concern, and despite their efforts to keep themselves clean, they were subject to body lice, dysentery, intestinal worms, skin disorders, and dental problems. The freezing temperatures well below zero led to many cases of frostbite and pneumonia. Of the 7,190 men captured as prisoners during the Korean War only 4,460 survived.

Clyde Livaudais was released on the 21st of August 1953, after surviving captivity for 27 months. His release was part of Operation Big Switch. Most of those released in this exchange were from prisoner of war camp 1, known as the camp for the "incorrigibles". The exchange on this day began at 8:30 a.m. on an overcast, hot and sultry day. The American P.O.W.s waited in the Russian made carriers until their names were called out. They were in high spirits, one danced a jig and many others yelled with shouts of joy. They tossed away their faded blue denim prison garb and blankets as they scrambled from the carriers to the reception center.

user posted image
Press photo taken after my father's release from POW camp.

#2 User is offline   Soprano84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:40 PM

Wow....oh wow....I never knew there was a Korean War version of the Bataan Death March. WAY too many similarities! Your father was lucky to have survived.

The death toll percentage remind me of Andersonville during thre Civil War.

So what about his escape??? C'mon, man....don't leave us hanging!!

The clopsest connectgion I have to a family POW was my maternal grandfather in WWI, but he was captured November 10...the day before the war ended, so even he didn't really count it.

#3 User is offline   Kicks 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:45 PM

Dad never talked much about his expierence. We didn't start learning what happened till he started going to these ex-POW annual reunions. He'd talk to other ex-POW's, sharing stories, and my mom would come home and tell us what she heard.

All I know about his escape is that he had gotten within view of some US troops when he was recaptured. That's probably why he ended up in prisoner of war camp 1, known as the camp for the "incorrigibles".

#4 User is offline   Soprano84 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (Kicks @ Jul 16 2004, 12:47 AM)

Dad never talked much about his expierence. We didn't start learning what happened till he started going to these ex-POW annual reunions. He'd talk to other ex-POW's, sharing stories, and my mom would come home and tell us what she heard.

All I know about his escape is that he had gotten within view of some US troops when he was recaptured. That's probably why he ended up in prisoner of war camp 1, known as the camp for the "incorrigibles".

Ahhh man....I'd rather not find my owntroops than find them and get recaptured....the mental torture must've been horrible!

#5 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Kicks @ Jul 15 2004, 11:39 PM)
I was wondering if anyone in this forum have formed a connection with Jessica or any of the other POW's because they have themselves or a family member been a POW. If so, I invite you to tell your story. We have mentioned how important it is for Jessica to talk with other POW's about her experience. I'd like to share mine with you.

After reading about your father's experience as a POW, several thoughts came to mind.
Once again, I marvel at the ability of the human spirit to survive under the most dire of circumstances. Truly, these men are heroes. How unfortunate that there are far too many people who are unknowing or uncaring about those who have sacrificed for our freedoms.

WW11 Memorial.
My brother's entry in the archives.

Activity During WW11
Served in the 31st Infantry Regiment, Philippine Islands on the Bataan Death March. July 10,1942, Missing in Action and then died.
Awarded a Bronze Star.

Memorialized at: Manila American Cemetery

user posted image

#6 User is offline   Dilligafst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:26 PM

Patience: Was that memorial really for your brother, or was it just written on behalf of someone else's brother? Wasn't sure. My mother lost her first fiance and a good neighborhood friend on that infamous Bataan Death March, or in the insidious imprisonment that awaited the survivors. I had a good friend that survived that march and those years of rotting in the Japanese jungle prisons. He never talked about it, but always had a distant gaze in his eyes, like he was somewhere else.

#7 User is offline   Dilligafst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:38 PM

Kicks: That was a compelling story about your father. Do you know any more details about his stay with the Chinese during the Korean War? There is a guy named Wayne Johnson, a Korean War prisoner, that has provided some ghastly details about prisoners in that war. I saw an interview with him once. He kept a list of all the men that died in his camp -- can't remember which one -- and somehow got it out of there. But no one cared until many years later. The army just wanted to know how many had converted to communism. There is the US prisoner of war museum or something in Andersonville, GA. I'm sure they have a website you could look into. Johnson would, no doubt, be on there. Hope it helps.

#8 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Dilligafst @ Jul 18 2004, 04:28 PM)
Patience:  Was that memorial really for your brother, or was it just written on behalf of someone else's brother?  Wasn't sure.  My mother lost her first fiance and a good neighborhood friend on that infamous Bataan Death March, or in the insidious imprisonment that awaited the survivors.  I had a good friend that survived that march and those years of rotting in the Japanese jungle prisons.  He never talked about it, but always had a distant gaze in his eyes, like he was somewhere else.

Yes.
That is my brother's war record as it is recorded in the archives of the WW11 Memorial in D.C. My mother really never received much more information than that which has been recorded.

Thanks, dilligifst for asking.
Also, you may remember me as patience2. I re-registered as patience.

I'll include a link to the WW11 memorial web page.

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/default.asp?pa...age=highresimgs

#9 User is offline   lanieer416 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:36 PM

Patience,
Thank you so much for your posting of the world war II memorial site. I knew that my uncle had been buried in the Philippines. I was able to check his name in the registry and found that he is buried in the same cemetery as your brother. My uncle was listed as KIA.

#10 User is offline   Dilligafst 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:13 PM

Patience: Thanks for the link. I'll look at in a minute. My father fought in the South Pacific. He was a lieutenant in Halsey's third Fleet, and he was ducking the kamikazes off of Okinawa and Iwo. He was also in the titanic battle of Leyte Gulf, though indirectly, as, like Jessica, he was supply and maintenance. Several times, a kamikaze pilot just missed his ship and one shot at my father, just missing him. My father sailed into Tokyo Bay for the Japanese surrender and was also part of the occupation of Japan. He was in Hiroshima three months after the bomb was dropped. He left behind a harrowing picture of what he saw there.

I also had an uncle that was a ranger during the Italian campaign. He fought at Anzio, that costly debacle that was an attempt to sneak around the German lines. The Rangers were mauled. After a year of it, he got seriously wounded, and was never the same. He was in and out of hospitals and in 1965 put himself out of his own misery. The war got him at last.

I did remember you as Patience2. It's funny, but I had forgotten about the 2 part of it. Were you ever able to find out what happened to your brother? That was a horrible campaign. I have seen many interviews with survivors and it is poignant to hear them talk about their experiences. I have also met British ex-pows from the Singapore fiasco. That was just as bad, if not worse. How old was your brother? How long had he been in? Were you in WWII?

#11 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:48 PM

lanieer416,Jul 18 2004, 09:38 PM]Patience,
Thank you so much for your posting of the world war II memorial site.  I knew that my uncle had been buried in the Philippines.  I was able to check his name in the registry and found that he is buried in the same cemetery as your brother.  My uncle was listed as KIA.

Lanieer,
I was hoping when I posted the Memorial link that someone would find it useful.
Whenever I look at the photo of the Memorial cemetery in Manila, I think, "rest in peace, brave and beloved soldiers."
"Some gave all."

#12 User is offline   patience 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE (Dilligafst @ Jul 19 2004, 02:15 PM)

Were you ever able to find out what happened to your brother?  That was a horrible campaign.  I have seen many interviews with survivors and it is poignant to hear them talk about their experiences.  I have also met British ex-pows from the Singapore fiasco.  That was just as bad, if not worse. How old was your brother?  How long had he been in?  Were you in WWII?

After reading about your family members' war experiences, it makes one realize just how many people's lives have been touched by WW 11.

My brother also was Jessica's age when he was taken prisoner. The letter my mother received from the War Dept., stated that he died from malaria and dysentery in a Japanese POW camp.

No. I was not in WW 11. I was too young.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users