Jessica Lynch Forums: Steeleville Man Injured Serving In Iraq - Jessica Lynch Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steeleville Man Injured Serving In Iraq father chged $200/day trying to see him

#1 User is offline   jessefan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 01 November 2003 - 08:45 PM

http://www.southernillinoisan.com/rednews/...top/TOP004.html

STEELEVILLE MAN INJURED SERVING IN IRAQ

BY CALEB HALE
THE SOUTHERN
[Sat Nov 01 2003]

STEELEVILLE -- Jeff Gieselmann said he's never been outside the United States. But he will be catching a plane to Frankfurt, Germany, first thing Monday morning to see his critically injured son, Lance.

Lance Gieselmann, 23, with the 4th Infantry Division of the U.S. Army, based out of Fort Hood, Texas, was the only person to survive when his tank rolled over a landmine Tuesday in Bharat, Iraq, 45 miles north of Baghdad.

Gieselmann was a gunner in the tank. He lost part of his left leg, suffered a broken vertebra and has a hole in his heart, as a result of the incident. The two other soldiers in the tank were killed.

Gieselmann was transferred to an Army hospital in Hamburg, where he is in critical condition.

After a start and stop "run-around" from military officials, Gieselmann's father was finally cleared to go to him. "Once I'm over there it's some kind of crap shoot on where I'll end up," he said.

Gieselmann, a guard at Menard Correctional Center in Chester, said he will be leaving from St. Louis at 7 a.m. Monday. He is expected to be in Germany a little after noon Tuesday. He's been told the Army will pay for his flight.

"I'm going but I don't know how long I will be able to stay under the circumstances," Gieselmann said.

Knowing his son is hurt so badly has caused sleepless nights for Gieselmann this past week. "I'm trying to keep a positive attitude," he said. "He's in pretty bad shape. I think he'll make it through. He's a strong person."

ADVERTISEMENT

Aside from the strain of a loved one being critically hurt and half a world away, Gieselmann will have to worry about where to stay when he's not visiting his son.

"The Army tells me once I get over there I'd have to find out where I get to stay," he said.

He has been warned it could cost him $170 to $200 per day to stay in Army facilities.

Gieselmann's wife and Lance's stepmother, Christina, said she is not pleased with the treatment Army officials have given them so far. "I can't see people denying him the right to go over there," she said. "That's his son."

And the price to stay with the Army? "That's a little ridiculous, when his son is fighting for his life," she said.

caleb.hale@thesouthern.com 618-529-5454 x15090

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users