Jessica Lynch Forums: Secrets Galore - Jessica Lynch Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Secrets Galore Article by Col. David Hackworth

#1 Guest_LesterB_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:17 PM

Interesting article, which mentioned Pfc Lynch, the 507th and the secrets surrounding them:

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?...RTICLE_ID=32667

"For example, as I write this, tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars are being spent on covering up what happened to Jessica Lynch and her mates during and after their unit was ambushed and they were captured.

Soldiers from Jessica's El Paso, Texas-based 507th Maintenance Company have been warned not to talk. A soldier in that unit said, "It's almost 'say a word and you'll be shot at dawn.'"

Jessica has been locked up in a private Walter Reed hospital room with an around-the-clock security detail normally reserved for high brass to ensure that what happened to her as a prisoner of war remains inside her room. Medical personnel who look after her have been given the same keep-your-trap-shut treatment as the 507th troopers. Almost daily, her cover story changes from amnesia to partial amnesia to more recently: "She's blocked just the ambush event."

I suspect more investigative journalists are on this story than the Laci Peterson murder. So, sooner or later, the truth will be told about Jessica and her 507th comrades-in-misfortune."

#2 Guest_hols_*

Posted 21 May 2003 - 03:09 PM

I don't understand why there are so many secrets regarding the ambush itself. I understand why they may want to keep secret what happened to pfc. lynch while she was pow. But it is not like the other surviving memebers of the 507th know what happened to her while she was a pow. Don't we already know that they took a wrong turn and that is how they got ambushed why can't we know what happened during the ambush. I find it very interesting.

#3 Guest_tekteam26_*

Posted 21 May 2003 - 03:36 PM

I suspect that Col. Hackworth knows a lot more about what happened to Jessi and the rest of the POW/MIA/KIA from the 507th than what he is revealing in this article.

Jerry Hall

#4 User is offline   iron-bound 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2003 - 03:49 PM

Hi folks, I'm back.

Concerning Hackworth's comments:

I really don't want to be flamed for saying this, but I have lost all respect or Colonel David Hackworth.

He's become just another publicity hound, filling his columns with nothing but insultive, inflammatory rhetoric. He has reversed himself on so many issues, so fast, and so often, that I am no longer able to identify what his agenda is, other than just seeking publicity, perhaps to increase book sales. It is as if he intentionally pushes the envelope in the language of his writing, for the sole purpose of seeing what kind of reaction he will get. This is the same man who said that the 10th Infantry was more qualified to play video games than to fight wars. This while they were still being shot at in Afghanistan.

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to criticize certain deficiencies within the military, but Hackworth does it in such a way that he discredits himself, and angers the same soldiers that he claims to be the "most vocal voice for."

Quite frankly, I don't consider David Hackworth to be any more reliable than Jayson Blair.

I thank Hackworth for his decorated service in Vietnam, but something has changed in him.

#5 Guest_Signmaker_*

Posted 21 May 2003 - 04:13 PM

This WAS an interesting article and he sounds credible. I went to his website at http://www.hackworth.com/

He was thhe youngest captain in Korea, the youngest colonel in Viet Nam and has been decorated many times, some of which included: Distinguished Service Cross (with one Oak Leaf Cluster), Silver Star (with nine Oak Leaf Clusters), Legion of Merit (with three Oak Leaf Clusters), Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal (with "V" Device & seven Oak Leaf Clusters)(Seven of the awards for heroism), Purple Heart (with seven Oak Leaf Clusters), and the Air Medal (with "V" Device & Numeral 34)(One for heroism and 33 for aerial achievement)

Thanks for the link!

#6 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 21 May 2003 - 08:22 PM

LesterB, believe or not, I was just going to post that when I saw your version there. smile.gif

There are two instances I know of in WWII where secrecy was used to cover up a high
casualty blunder.

One is the USS Indianapolis (in which her commander was scrapegoated, and a lot of
questions were left unanswered.)
http://starbulletin.com/97/11/10/news/story3.html

The other is an incident in which a German u-boat was able to sneak up to the coast of
Scotland and sink a loaded transport ship that was participating in a practice run for
D-day. (unfortunately, I can not find a link for this incident on the net.)

In both cases secrecy was slapped on the incidents so that it took along time for the real
truth to come out. Truth which was hurtful to the bigwigs in charge.

Call me cynical. Call me wrong. (And I may even be embarrassed next week if the report
comes out then). But I get the feeling the report on the 507th is being held back until a
new major attack occurs elsewhere that distracts our attention. Then I expect it to be
papered over with secrecy and dumped in a filing cabinet somewhere until it gets
declassified twenty years from now. I would be delighted to have somebody say I’m
wrong and can show why. But I doubt it.

#7 User is offline   fredlev 

• Pip

Posted 21 May 2003 - 08:56 PM

Yes, Col. Hackworth's article is interesting. If he says there are 'Secrets Galore' then, that's just what it is. No doubt, he too will be bashed for expressing his views. Hackworth served his country...he is not anti-american...he has covered a dozen wars since WW2 as a correspondent. Hackworth can be very funny or extremely sarcastic...just read his books. He loves to target the Pentagon for spending tax money foolishly. The man knows his stuff!

#8 Guest_dilligafst_*

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:52 PM

Yes, a very interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I bet he's pretty close to being right about the investigative journalists being right on the scent. They are probably holding back on it out of respect for Jessica and what she went through -- but they know. I'm sure that half the world figures that she got tortured pretty badly. It is too bad, especially for Jessica, that the Pentagon is trying to cover it up. If they ever let her out of there, and actually allow her to talk, things could really bounce back at her, at them, at the brass. I hope they are not using that to cover up a major blunder from the top brass or an excuse for Rumsfeld to get the kind of army that he wants. It wouldn't surprise me, though.

#9 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 22 May 2003 - 05:12 AM

Arab news picking up on Hackworth.

http://www.khilafah.com/home/category.php?...ID=7186&TagID=2

#10 User is offline   atomeye 

• Pip

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:23 AM

GOOD.

#11 User is offline   fredlev 

• Pip

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:27 AM

Col. David Hackworth is not a "spin doctor." He calls an ace an ace and a spade a spade. As a matter of fact, Hackworth doesn't care which political party is in power. If he thinks the Pentagon is spending the tax payers money foolishly then he blast them good and what he says is substantiated by facts. He had an absolute field day when the government was considering military base closures. Anybody remember those days?

When Col Hackworth says there are 'Secrets Galore' the man knows what he's talking about and he also knows somebody is going to get the right story eventually. There are too many unanswered questions about what happened to the 507th and Pfc Jessica Lynch.

And there is another question that's being raised on other internet forums. How come we suffered so much loss of life related to Helicopter accidents? What went wrong? That is obviously another topic for another time.

#12 Guest_tekteam26_*

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:39 AM

I agree with dilligafst. The extreme secrecy regarding what happened to Jessi will end up backfiring and hurting all involved, especially Jessi. I know that some people wish that she would just be left alone to deal with the aftermath of her horrific experience. However, as a survivor of a near fatal assault myself, I know that the only way to deal with the pain and the nightmares is to be completely open and honest with all, so that all of the questions and rumors can be put to rest and so the greatest chance for others to fully understand what Jessi had to deal with is accomplished. This cannot happen by good-meaning people wrapping Jessi in a steel cocoon. It will just reflect her own pain back inside to her heart.

Jerry Hall

#13 Guest_hols_*

Posted 22 May 2003 - 08:24 AM

How does what happened to pfc. lynch while she was a pow relate to the other memebers of her unit being told to keep quiet she was separated from them so how would they know what happened to her while she was a pow. That is why i don't believe they are being told be quiet has anything to do with pfc. lynch being tortured.

#14 Guest_LesterB_*

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:28 AM

The secrecy goes much deeper than just what happened to Jessica Lynch...and lets not confuse the words "Secrecy" and "Cover-up". This isn't fricken Water Gate...That was a cover-up. What we have here is a dozen missing pieces from a 24-piece puzzle and until those pieces can be put together (or at least most of them…they will never find them all)...secrecy is a must! It is a must to prevent further pain on the families of the fallen, preservation of war crime evidence, and the right for ALL the survivors to recover in some form of peace.

Now, I know I have said a couple times that silence can be dangerous...but so can 30 variations to the story. We will all find out in time what happened…we just have to be patient.

#15 Guest_tekteam26_*

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (hols @ May 22 2003, 08:24 AM)
How does what happened to pfc. lynch while she was a pow relate to the other memebers of her unit being told to keep quiet she was separated from them so how would they know what happened to her while she was a pow. That is why i don't believe they are being told be quiet has anything to do with pfc. lynch being tortured.

The reason why the other members of Jessi's unit are being told to keep quiet is two fold, first the families of those POW's from the 507th that were found dead, to include Lori Ann Piestewa, were told much of how their family members died. Since people within military units and family support groups do talk, the word gets around pretty quickly of what happened to the various servicemembers to include what happened to Jessi. The second reason is because of the ongoing investigation as to how the 507th managed to blunder into the ambush in the first place. This is something that the Pentagon wants badly to keep quiet for fear of embarrassment at someone's screwup that cost the lives of so many personnel who were supposed to be in nice, safe job assignments....the kind that congress and the previous administration said were safe enough for female service members to serve in because of the unlikelihood of combat.

Jerry Hall

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users