• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Too Much Misinformation Too many expectations being placed

#1 User is offline   louisjk777 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2003 - 07:11 AM

I think it is important to not put too many expectations on Jessica. Initital reports that Jessica fought back, was forceably taken prisoner, was a POW, and was shot in the process are all now turning out to be incorrect.

While Jessica has not yet told the world of her ordeal, we should reserve the hype until she does. Imagine what she is dealing with right now, knowing what most of the world thinks, but also knowing that she will have to disappoint many by telling what actually happened. And just wait until the mini-series , TV movies, and "documentaries" come out. Lets give the girl a break.

#2 User is offline   fredlev 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:10 AM

Observer. I'm not so certain all the information coming out on Jessica is incorrect. The Army will eventually debrief her as they will all the POW's and surviving members of the 507th. What happened to the 507th needs to be explained, especially, to the families of fallen loved ones.

Susan Schmidt and Vernon Loeb, the two experienced reporters who wrote the initial story in the 'Washington Post' on Jessica's exploits on the battlefield wrote their story based on a "source" in the Defense Department with whom they had the utmost confidence. Now, another story from a different prospective has been written by the 'Oregonian.' The article is worth reading:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/i...23497431890.xml

If you have a convoy that was spread out along a highway when it was ambushed, then each soldier is going to comment from his own experience and perspective. It's safe to say, it's going to take the Army awhile to piece the puzzle all together.

In the interim, Jessica is getting better...she wants to go home!

#3 User is offline   louisjk777 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:52 AM

PT Pink--

Again, the statements made in the Oregonian article are atributed to unnamed "US sources" that Jessica fired away until she ran out of ammunition. No other serviceman has confirmed this "report", and apparently the oregonian reports were not able to confirm this "report" with any of the dozens of people they interviewed in writing the story. Moreoever, the report is clearly wrong, because the military doctors have confirmed that Jessica was not shot, and had no gunshot wounds. The "report" would also mean that all of the serious injuries Jessica sustained were at the hands of the Iraqis, which is inconsistent with the latest facts verified in the recent New York Times article.

#4 User is offline   Patricia 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Observer @ Apr 30 2003, 07:11 AM)
I think it is important to not put too many expectations on Jessica.  Initital reports that Jessica fought back, was forceably taken prisoner, was a POW, and was shot in the process are all now turning out to be incorrect.

?!?!?!?!WHAT!?!?!?!?
OBSERVER,WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ANYWAY. Are you trying to say that she wasn't a P.O.W!? That her injuries were due to a "slip and fall"? ALL reports are turning out to be false???!!!( Bahgdad Bob, is that you??)Her medical condition, and the injuries received,HOW she got those injuries are still somewhat in doubt. As for her actions during the ambush???True,we don't know what really went down. But does it really make a differance?? We're not gonna be disapponted if we learn she didn't fight until she was out of ammo.You're talking about a soldier, a young kid that was "missing". The next we hear of her is that she was found,ALIVE, and safe thanks to a daring rescue.(Or do you also question that?) We're just thrilled the kid is alive. Glad she's back on U.S. soil, and getting better. THAT'S what we really care about.
About the mini-series and such, I'm not sure where the hell you were going there. And do yourself a favor, look up the word,"documentary".

#5 User is offline   Nebelwerfer 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:56 AM

I was just reading in the Indian Country which is the Nation's Leading American Indian News Source that the US military is preparing for war crimes trials in Iraq. According to the report senior military officials are saying that the initial treatment of the 507th is first on the list for a war tribunal.Commander Chris Isleib said "It is all under investigation. They have very low regard for human life and very low regard for the law of war".
Also Parks who is the special assistant to the Army Judge Advocate General said that there list begins with the treatment of the 507th Maintenance Unit. Obviously there is a lot of investigation yet to go but they are investigating as he says the "willful killing, torture and inhumane treatment or the willful causing of great suffering or serious injury to body or health of the POW."
I'm sure the Indian Nation has received information from the government because they want to know what happened to Lori.
I think it is very irresponsible to downplay a serious situation such as March 23.

#6 User is offline   louisjk777 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 12:15 PM

What I am saying is, the initial reports about Jessica, in which she was reported to have engaged in a fire fight, and shot until she ran out of ammo, was shot herself, and had to be rescued through the help of a daring Iraqi lawyer have now turned out to be incorrect.

Jessica did not shoot at anyone, and was not shot herself. Jessica was also being compassionately cared for in the hospital, with the doctors and others making concerted efforts to get her back to the Americans. At one point, the doctors had her driven by ambulance to the US front line, but the ambulance driver was waived away, and returned her to the hospital. The Iraqis running the hospital then specifcially asked the US troops to please come and take Jessca from them.

Finally, it appears that Jessica's injuries were the result of being blown from her vehicle after it was hit by a RPG, and not from torture inflicted by the Iraqis.

My point is, there is a big difference betwen what was initially reported, and what appears to have been the truth, and this would naturally put added pressure on Jessica -- who clearly does not need any additional problems or pressures.

#7 User is offline   FIREMAN 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 12:24 PM

Like I said in my reply to your PM, Observer....sources, man....sources. Substantiate your claimsor I'll go with the govt. account.

#8 Guest_dilligafst_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 30 April 2003 - 12:33 PM

Observer:

What is this horse manure? Where's the proof outside of hearsay?

1. Ms. lynch was not shot, and had and has no gun shot wounds. The early reports of gunshot wounds were from a leak from the Pentagon of a report concerning another service woman, who was killed in the ambush. Ms. Lynch is obviosuly not the subject of this report.
>
>2. Ms. lynch was thrown from the vehicle in which she was riding when it was hit by a rocket propelled grenade. Ms. Lynch received all of her injuries from the fall. She was taken to hospital, and treated in the trauma ward, until moved to a general ward as US troops advanced towards the city.
>
>3. Ms. Lynch never fired a shoot.
>
>

#9 User is offline   rebel21 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 12:51 PM

Observer doesn't sound very observant or he is very gullable. I want him to substiantiate his sources. Otherwise I consider it a bunch of bunk. He sounds like the Minister of Disinformation Bagdhad Bob. But since this is America, I guess he is entitled to his opinion.

#10 User is offline   Nebelwerfer 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 01:13 PM

Observer is probably getting ready to write a book. I think it'll be fiction. I think I'll stick to the government sources too.

#11 Guest_LesterB_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 30 April 2003 - 01:39 PM

Wow…People, I think we are starting to loose focus!

#12 User is offline   rebel21 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 02:17 PM

LesterB,

Well Said. We all need to take a step back and remember what this web site is for. JESSICA!!!

fixitmhn

#13 User is offline   Penny/Don 

• Pip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 30 April 2003 - 02:23 PM

I'm just glad she is alive and recovering; and continue to pray on her behalf for a full recovery.

I honestly don't know how Jessica was injured so badly....but I do know:

1) she has more broken bones than me and two of my sisters in our lives COMBINED -- all at the SAME TIME. When she arrived in Kuwait and Germany, she had no feeling in her legs and feet. That alone was horrifying for Jessica and her folks...because it once happened to my stepsister (and scared us all to death).

2) there is no doubtin my mind Jessica was slapped in the face while lying in the hospital...absolutely none....a seriously injured petite teenager that looks as if she might weigh 105-110 lbs (just a guess..based on Becky at age 19).

My compassion for Jessica Lynch isn't because she may have fought heroically and fired until running out of ammo -- it's because I know how she suffered...the pain she endured broke my heart; because I have younger sisters and have seen them hurting, in pain, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

My respect and admiration for Jessica is becauseshe wanted a college degree so badly, wanted to be a teacher so much that she was willing to serve her country (during wartime I might add) to earn money for college. I have a female friend that did the very same thing in 1984....a shy lovely young woman that was willing to sacrifice and pay the price to reach her goals.

I'm not sure what Observer's angle is. Jessica Lynch is a hero regardless of how she was injured...a brave 19 (now 20) year old woman that has more guts than me, and I'd venture 80% of this boards members.
Does she deserve to be harrassed and hounded by the media? NO WAY! I wish they'd leave her alone....let her recover from her injuries and let her family live in peace.

Does she deserve all the respect, admiration, and compassion she recieves....you betcha! She definitely has mine, and IMO 99%+ of Americans, regardless of how her injuries occurred. Jessica Lynch is a hero because she answered the call for duty...so is Greg, Jr... so is Brandi. So is every young man and woman that serves their country. I'm very grateful the state of Hawaii is offering ALL the former POW's a free vacation in their lovely state...IMO Jessica is happy for them. Reports in the media said she was thrilled when they were found alive and safe...just as I was smile.gif

#14 User is offline   rebel21 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 02:33 PM

Perry,
Very well said. I have a daughter just 5 years older than Jessi, and she has had 2 back surgeries and will be going for a third to remove the hardware at the end of July because of constant pain. Her back problems were not caused by the type of trauma Jessi went through. I can't even imagine what Jessi went through with all her injuries and how she got them, but all that matters is that she make a full recovery and fulfill her dreams of becoming a teacher. She is a determined young lady according to all reports and I am sure she will accomplish her goals.

Regards,

fixitmhn

#15 User is offline   louisjk777 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 02:34 PM

I agree, we are losing focus.

First, can anyone name any original source that Jessica (1) fired a single shot; (2) was shot herself; (3) was tortured.

Secondly, by perpetuating these myths, we are creating a lie that Jessica is going to feel compelled to somehow either live up to, or debunk. Either way, that is cruel to her, and places her in horrible and painful position.

I totally agree that it is enough that that this young kid found hereself almost fatally injured in a foreign and hostile country, and had to rely on help from the very peoople that almost killed her, without knowing how long she would be allowed to live, or what would happen to her if she did live. It is also enough that her companions died, and she will have to endure the pain and anquish of this traumatic event for the rest of her life. Lets not add to Jerssica's trauma having to live up to (or deal with) a myth that has been created about her out of thin air.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users