• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Homecoming - More Details

#1 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:02 AM

Lynch is to be released July 22 from Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., and should arrive in Wirt County by midafternoon, spokesman Randy Coleman said.
The former POW is scheduled to make a brief statement in Elizabeth, then travel via motorcade to her home in nearby Palestine. She still has trouble standing and will not take questions from the media, Coleman said.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/n...ews/6308148.htm

#2 Guest_Kicks_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:19 AM

Woo Wooo!!!

That's great news! I'll still be home to see the news coverage of it. I was afraid I'd be in the mountains when she got to go home. Now I have to get her one more 'Get Well' or other greeting card. I've been sending Jessi a card at Walter Reed every week since she arrived there. Now I have time to send her one more. I gotta make sure it's a good one!

Man. I'm excited for her!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Kicks

#3 User is offline   papags46 

• Pip

Posted 15 July 2003 - 11:09 AM

Yup, that's definately the best news I've heard. I'm glad she's not going to answer questions. I was a bit worried when I read she was going to have a "press conferance." But I think she's brave just going a giving a speech!!! Way to go Jessica!!!

I don't know who is probably more excited- Jessica or Palestine. biggrin.gif It's going to be quite a day.

#4 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:35 PM

``It appears that her rehabilitation is going to be a long and difficult process,'' Coleman said. ...
She will not take questions and will not address specifics of her capture and rescue, Coleman said.
``It will be very short and sweet,'' Wirt County Sheriff Andy Cheuveront said Tuesday.
... ``It's different when you go to Hollywood wanting to be a star, but it wasn't like she was asking to be a star,'' said Teresa Toney of Elizabeth. ``Now, probably almost everyone in the world knows who she is. She will not be able to fathom all of this.''

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0...2911598,00.html

#5 Guest_mainzman_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:39 PM

For Jessica and her family, one important Journey is almost over, yet another, even more important Journey is about to begin. God bless this special woman and her family!!!

#6 User is offline   fredlev 

• Pip

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:52 PM

yeah, another piece of good news. Jessica is going to have plenty of security...24/7 indefinitely. Her community is seeing to that.

#7 Guest_jean_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 04:47 PM

I think it great she's going home.

And you can call me cynical if you want but who is going to write her speech? I understand that for legal reasons she may not be able to say certain things. But will she write what she wants or will she be told what to say?

I suspect she'll thank the doctors and medical team and those who rescued her? Why should she have to do this in public? No other soldier has had to. Without wanting to upset people she doesn't owe these people a public thank-you, because what they did for her was part of their job description anyway.

Secondly, will she be in uniform? Bear in mind she's probably still in some discomfort/pain. Is it fair to have her in uniform, when comfy clothes would be more comfortable? Is it fair to delay her arrival home by having a press conference and a motorcade?

Please don't misunderstand, I have every respect for her and anyone else who has been through a traumatic event, and if she wants all this attention fine, great, go for it. But if she doesn't want all this fuss, what then?

I actually feel really sorry for her because she's never going to be able to have a normal life again.

She doesn't owe anybody anything. And she should be allowed to get on with her life. She enlisted in the army - not a celebrity job. If she wanted to be famous she would have become an actress, singer, dancer, writer, presenter, etc. She only became famous because of extraordinary events that propelled her into the public limelight.

She didn't ask to be filmed being rescued. I'm really surprised because of the sensitivity of the operation that three people filmed her rescue - taking up three seats that was a dangerous operation. She never had a say about whether her rescue would be shown on world tv. Her privacy was invaded without her consent.

And now she has to contend with media intrusion, etc.

It's not right. None of this is right. She shouldn't be doing this on her release from hospital - leave her alone for a few months until she's got used to being back home.

Wanting to know how she is and that she wasn't harmed during captivity is one thing. But wanting to see a film, read a book, interviews, photoshoots, etc is a completely different ball game.

Like I've said before is she wants to do this then that is fine. but if she's been bullied, pressured or made to feel guilty because it is what is now expected of her - then that isn't fine. I understand the Lynch's are very private people.

I wish her all the best for the future because I think she is really going to need it.

#8 Guest_hols_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 05:53 PM

Ex-POW Lynch to come home next week
Tuesday, July 15, 2003 Posted: 1904 GMT ( 3:04 AM HKT)

Pfc. Jessica Lynch was wounded in the attack on a 507th Maintenance Company convoy. Her rescue from an Iraqi hospital was videotaped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO
CNN's Barbara Starr on the Pentagon's report on the ambush near Nasiriya, Iraq.

PLAY VIDEO

RELATED
Interactive: 507th Maintenance's wrong turn

Details emerge on ambush

CNN Access: Father questions report

SPECIAL REPORT

• War Tracker
• On the Scene Map
• Commanders: U.S. | Iraq
• Weapons: 3D Models
• Coalition casualties | POW/MIA
• Special Report

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Army Pfc. Jessica Lynch, the former Iraqi prisoner of war, plans to speak briefly to reporters for the first time next week and ride in a military motorcade in West Virginia upon her release from the hospital, a family spokesman said.

Lynch is expected to be released July 22 from Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington and will be flown by military helicopter to an undisclosed location in West Virginia, spokesman Randy Coleman said. She then will speak to reporters but does not plan to answer questions.

The 20-year-old, who can walk with a walker and is trying to use crutches, faces a lengthy rehabilitation from injuries she suffered in an ambush in Iraq in March, Coleman said.

"She can't stand. She doesn't have enough feeling in her feet to stand," he said.

"She had three breaks in her left leg, multiple breaks in her right foot," Coleman said. "... There was a fractured disc, which has caused obviously numerous problems. She doesn't have feeling all over."

Coleman said it was his understanding that "she's taking the initial steps in her military discharge."

He said Lynch also has a broken upper right arm and lacerations on her head.

Lynch was one of six soldiers from the 507th Maintenance Company who were captured March 23 after a 90-minute firefight with Iraqi forces.

Lynch's convoy was ambushed near Nasiriya when it took a wrong turn. Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed. U.S. forces later rescued Lynch from an Iraqi hospital. (Details of Lynch's capture)

After talking to the press next week upon her release, Lynch is expected to ride through Elizabeth, West Virginia, in a motorcade

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/07/15/sprj.irq.lynch/

#9 Guest_jean_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:30 PM

Hols, you beat me to it. I was about to post the same article. However, I would like to highlight some quotes from it.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/07/15/sprj.irq....ynch/index.html

The 20-year-old, who can walk with a walker and is trying to use crutches, faces a lengthy rehabilitation from injuries

"She can't stand. She doesn't have enough feeling in her feet to stand,"

"She had three breaks in her left leg, multiple breaks in her right foot," Coleman said. "... There was a fractured disc, which has caused obviously numerous problems. She doesn't have feeling all over."

she's taking the initial steps in her military discharge

He said Lynch also has a broken upper right arm and lacerations on her head

I think it unfair when she is still in a bad way to put her on show and prolong her discomfort. On her release she should head straight for home, and not have to stop off and give an interview which lengthens her journey. Even though I don't know what she'll be wearing and am making presumptions, I hope she is wearing comfy clothes and not her uniform which I'm sure will be quite uncomfortable with all her injuries.

Maybe there is some sort of military uniform for sick people that will be comfy and not so restrictive as the usual military uniform...

#10 User is offline   juergen 

• Pip

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:23 PM

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!! I`ll be watching with a smile the whole while:)
Its about time she gets to finally heal, in a place where she will be comfortable. biggrin.gif Anyone catch an exact time when all this is gonna take place???? blink.gif I dun want to miss a second of it!!!! happy.gif wub.gif

#11 Guest_ticker_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 03:53 AM

Good for her. Hopefully she can eventually recover fully and walk without a walker or crutches. But one thing about the article struck me as strange:

"He said Lynch also has a broken upper right arm and lacerations on her head."

She still has lacerations on her head? After nearly four months, shouldn't those have mostly or completely healed?

#12 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 16 July 2003 - 09:39 PM

A hero's homecoming
Some dreading frenzy to follow Lynch's return

http://www.dailymail.com/news/News/2003071615/

#13 Guest_mainzman_*

Posted 16 July 2003 - 10:35 PM

I know that the residents of Palestine and the surrounding communities will do everything possible to make sure Jessica and her family are given all the privacy and space they need to help her make a smooth recovery. The people of Wirt County are one BIG family!! And because they are, Jessica and her family will be treated with alot of TLC. After all the good things I have heard about Palestine and the surrounding communities, I wouldn't mind living there, and it's definately better than the area I live now! People who live there care about each other, pull together, and act as one communiity, as evident with Jessica's situation. When Jessica returns home next week, the community will be tested to see how well they can maintain the Lynch Family's Privacy as Jessica embarks on the LONG road to recovery!

#14 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 17 July 2003 - 05:50 PM

The last report we had is that Pvt. Lynch's parents have been shielding her from all the goings-on around her. This is as it should be, since she needs to concentrate on her recovery. But one thing that will likely mean is that the remarks she will make at the press conference will be very general. We should prepare ourselves to not be disappointed by that even if we have been waiting a long time to hear from her. It not about us, its about her.

#15 Guest_mainzman_*

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:11 PM

I hope people CAREFULLY READ Jessefans's posting of July 17th!! I have to agree that Jessica doesn't have to make a statement, but any comments she makes will most likely be short and sweet!! IF or WHEN she decides to make further comments in the future, it will be on her terms!! When she has the press conference, it will be good see and hear from her!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users