Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'jessica Needs To Be Left Alone,' Rockefeller says

#1 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 June 2003 - 05:30 AM

Although the focus of the senator's speech was Medicare and his dissatisfaction with the Bush administration's tax cut, Rockefeller made a point to tell hundreds in attendance to respect the young soldier who was held prisoner in Iraq.
"I don't think we need to be holding celebrations," Rockefeller said.
"I think we need to be letting her heal, find her own peace, find her own space and get herself together."

http://www.register-herald.com/articles/20.../bjessica10.txt

#2 Guest_tekteam26_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:48 AM

The good senator can say that he wants. But you have to consider that his speech is in a political context and is therefore not necessarily all that it appears to be. If the people of this country and of Wirt County want to celebrate Jessi's homecoming, that is fine with me. The more that I learn of Jessi's conduct as a POW, the greater the pride that I have in her. She is indeed a hero worthy of praise.

Jerry Hall

#3 Guest_redfalcon_*

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:58 AM

While I can agree with the senators' sentiment.I do have to point out that in the last couple of weeks there has been almost nothing mentioned about Miss.Lynch in the media,except when some grandstanding politician trying to make political hay for himself,starts in again on how the Bush administration handled her rescue.
If all the politicians' want her left alone,I would suggest that the pols' themselves try leaving her alone.Just my opinion.

May God Bless You All smile.gif

#4 Guest_mainzman_*

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:08 AM

From the time Jessica was rescued till now, I absolutely agree with Sen. Rockefeller's Views and how people should approach Jessica's situation. To be honest, Jessica never asked for or wanted all this attention!! No doubt, she is very grateful to all those who care for her and sent gifts, cards, and letters. The greatest gifts Jessica can possibly receive is for a fully and speedy recovery, and complete privacy, which I hear is very important to the Lynch Family!!

#5 Guest_LesterB_*

Posted 10 June 2003 - 12:17 PM

redfalcon -

You hit that one right on the head!!

#6 User is offline   carolemac 

• Pip

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:40 AM

QUOTE (jessefan @ Jun 10 2003, 05:30 AM)
Although the focus of the senator's speech was Medicare and his dissatisfaction with the Bush administration's tax cut, Rockefeller made a point to tell hundreds in attendance to respect the young soldier who was held prisoner in Iraq.

Jessefan

The last thing he or any other Democrat wants is Jessica out of the limelight. She is going to be, through no fault of her own, their poster girl for what went wrong with the war in Iraq?. Their recent "...never any weapons of mass destruction" argument is falling on deaf ears. Their hope is she is going to help them get back the power they lost, like it or not. This tactic is standard reverse psychology, you say you don't want something to happen as an encouragement for it to continue.
I'm sure your parents have tried it on you, as well.

Phntmstrngr

#7 User is offline   kaslow 

• Pip

Posted 11 June 2003 - 10:00 AM

Shortly after Jessica was rescured, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, a former POW in Viet Nam, was interviewed. He said he thought there was a good chance Jessica would be invited to sit beside Mrs. Bush in the balcony at the next State of the Union speech by the President. I think he might be right. That would be a wonderful sight, but I suspect making such an appearance would require yet another act of bravery by the shy young woman. Of course, by then she may be used to public appearances. Like it or not, she is probably not going to be able to avoid them.

#8 Guest_LesterB_*

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:32 PM

nurse --

I have to agree...I don't see how she will avoid, as much as she may not want it, I think she will have to deal with it. I just hope that she does somthing possitive with the attention.

#9 Guest_dilligafst_*

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:34 PM

Nurse: I remember what John McCain said about Lynch and her sitting up on the balcony or down with the president, whoever it might be. And well she deserves too. And this from a man that spent five years at the Hanoi Hilton, three of those years in solitary confinement. If anyone down at Capital Hill understand, it is McCain, though it is certainly not Bush.

I agree with you that like it or not she probably will not be able to avoid the public appearances. Without knowing her at all, it is difficult to say how she will handle them. She may or may not get used to them, whether it is a request for an autograph on the street, or cutting the ribbon for some building or other. Yet, it might not be all bad. From all that I can gather from what's been said, she has a damned good head on her shoulders and think of all the good that she can do down the road when all of this filters down within her. I don't know, just a guess. She might get used to public appearances after all:)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users