• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Were You Doing?????? Time in history

#1 User is offline   bpgarr1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:29 PM

Maybe before we close this out, I was just wondering what all of you were doing when you heard that Jessica had been rescued? You know the old saying...you'll never forget what you were doing at a certain time in history. My wife was at home and had just turned on the TV to CNN and heard the breaking news! She called me on my cell phone to tell me the good news! biggrin.gif

#2 User is offline   FIREMAN 

• Pip

Posted 23 July 2003 - 03:54 PM

I was at work...just checking CNN's website as I was getting ready to leave. Lifted MY spirits on the drive home...and anyone who has driven the parking lots that are the Los Angeles freeway system understands what THAT meant!

#3 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:26 PM

#4 User is offline   usaalltheway 

• Pip

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (jessefan @ Jul 23 2003, 05:26 PM)
Being unemployed then, I could afford the "luxury" of recent bouts of insomnia. I was worried about all the pows, but especially about the three female pows. The last report I had seen was that cut up female army fatigues had been found in a hospital room which had a torture device in the next room. I was really really worried about the female pows. I was watching CNN into the wee hours again. I was actually there watching when Brig. Gen Brooks announced first that a POW had been rescued, then later that a female pow had been rescued. And then finally that Pvt. Jessica Lynch had been rescued. I was delirious with happiness that she had been brought out of there alive. And that's all I remember about that night. Just me in the dark with CNN going, and being delirious with an unbelieveable happiness. I almost thought I had lost my mind and was dreaming this. Later I was sobered by the news that bodies had been brought out with Pvt. Lynch. And I was really saddened later to learn that Lori Piestewa was among them. Later, while everybody was having laughs over Bagdad Bob, I was depressed with worry over the remaining pows. I could imagine Saddam or one of his sons committing a last act of spite on them as the war ended. As the stupid television goofs on Bagdad Bob went on and on I yelled at the television set, "WHERE ARE THE POW? WHERE ARE THE POW? WHERE ARE THE POWS?" Finally, I found out where the POW where, and they were ok. Then I could breath a sigh of relief and starting laughing at Bagdad Bob too.

This is a nice topic. I think as I rember I was eating breakfast when I heard about or I could be wrong and they were talking about this. I'm glad she got rescue and everyone else who survived got rescue, and especially the brave iraqi man for telling the miltary about this. I feel sorry for her best friend Lori and the other soliders who didn't survive this. Thank you.

~Jessica

#5 Guest_dilligafst_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:06 PM

Nice topic here:) When the war began, I was on the couch recovering from getting a piece of me yanked out on the operating table. The day that the 507th was ambushed, I was actually able to sit up a little and have a couple beers -- a triumph of the first magnitude. I read/heard about it and thought, oh my god, for all those poor MIA's and the POW's. I read the name, Jessica Lynch, 19, Palestine, West Va., and thought, that poor woman. I watched the yellow ribbons and everything and then saw Jessica's high school picture, there, and sighed.

I have lived in the middle east before and seen first-hand in a non-war setting what Arabs think of non-islamic women. It is not pretty. I thought of those 3 women, two missing and one captured, and wanted to cry. Then I got angry at Bush (Well, I already was) for starting this stupid war and putting them in that situation. I figured that none of the MIA's and the POW's were going to come home again, except in a box,; then, suddenly, the rescue. Jessica Lynch, on grainy night video, being carried out. I was just able to walk a little bit then so followed the whole story -- fascinated and amazed that they had found this woman alive, breathing a huge sigh of relief, that coming up from a name on an MIA list she made history twice, and, most likely, will make it again. I was able to endure having a few more beers by then, and toasted her survival, sighing with relief.

I was pretty much recovered when the other prisoners were found. I could not believe it, but had a happy air about me then. I could not believe how lucky that they were to survive and, not seemingly, at least in appearance, to be that much worse for the wear.

If I had a fantasy here, I would love for all the ex-507 pow's to get together and tell their stories.

Wonder if there will be a book.

#6 User is offline   gophergeorge 

• Pip

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:42 PM

I was on the phone with my dad....I'd seen an internet message board report of a rescued POW, and called dad....he has cable TV and CNN (I don't).

Dad answered and began yelling "PERRY...OMG!..IT'S JESSICA LYNCH"!!! "JESSICA HAS BEEN RESCUED"!!!!!
(I felt chills down my spine then, and feel them now reliving that glorious moment smile.gif

Of course I lost it...began thanking God it was Jessica; I was praying, cheering, and crying at the same time....so was my dad and grandmother (only the second time I'd heard my dad sob since mom died). I didn't know at that time how badly Jessica was injured, but knew she was alive...and that she was safe! smile.gif

I'm still praying for Jessica to recover fully...for Jesus to completely and totally heal her from head to toe; and praise the Lord every night that she's safe, getting well, and home with her family in Palestine tonight.

#7 User is offline   juergen 

• Pip

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:55 PM

I was on my way to class and heard it on the radio, I spilled my coffee too wacko.gif. Other than the large coffee stain, it made my day a whoile lot better.

#8 Guest_Kicks_*

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:00 PM

I first heard about Jessica's rescue while watching the CentCom briefing with Brig. Gen Vincent Brooks as he announced it. I shouted to my wife the news and we watched together. She held my hand and said "See, God does answer your prayers".

You see, for a while I had been afraid to pray for anything. I seemed when I prayed bad things happened. The opposite of what I prayed for happened. My sick uncle died, the hurricane came, I didn't get the girl, I didn't win the lottery wink.gif , etc.

But when I heard about Jessica being MIA I stayed up all night worring about her. I was sick to the stomach and in tears. I started to pray, kind of fearfull at first, but I prayed anyway. I even prayed for God to just let me rest because I was scaring myself of what could be happening to Jessi.

The next day I told my wife how I felt. That is why she said "See, God does answers your prayes." And he has done so again since then. Remember, I won the National TKD Championships. I did it with the inspiration of Jessi and lots prayers.

People say that God has a plan for Jessi, that she was put here for a purpose, like to inspire and help people. Well, because of Jessi prayer is back in my life, and I'm a better person because of her.

Greg

#9 User is offline   gophergeorge 

• Pip

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Kicks @ Jul 23 2003, 11:00 PM)

People say that God has a plan for Jessi, that she was put here for a purpose, like to inspire and help people. Well, because of Jessi prayer is back in my life, and I'm a better person because of her.

Greg

I agree with you 100% Greg....because of Jessica's miraculous rescue, I now believe in the power of prayer again; I believe in miracles again....after wandering in the wilderness of grief and depression since my mother's death.

That makes (at least) two of us on this forum who's life Jessi has touched. If I die tonight, I will go to heaven.....I couldn't have made that statement on March 23rd, not truthfully anyway. Jessica is an inspiration to me...and I believe, she inspires quite a few on this forum. Regardless of whether or not I'm ever honored to meet Jessi Lynch, she has changed my life forever in a positive manner...and I humbly thank her. smile.gif

Perry

#10 Guest_xandar_*

Posted 23 July 2003 - 11:58 PM

I dont exactly what Im doing here. But I want to thank ppl like Perry and Tank and others for supporting Jessi
There are So many ppl in the media looking to abuse her story! Bless you all smile.gif

#11 Guest_JessicaL03_*

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:47 AM

tongue.gif cool.gif biggrin.gif I was babysitting at the time and my mom called from an oppsite room in the house and told me the great news and since that time I just been so happy, though she has a long road ahead of her the most important thing is she's alive!!!

#12 User is offline   Black-Hawk-Pilot 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2003 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (JetMaxx @ Jul 23 2003, 10:32 PM)
That makes (at least) two of us on this forum who's life Jessi has touched. If I die tonight, I will go to heaven.....I couldn't have made that statement on March 23rd, not truthfully anyway. Jessica is an inspiration to me...and I believe, she inspires quite a few on this forum. Regardless of whether or not I'm ever honored to meet Jessi Lynch, she has changed my life forever in a positive manner...and I humbly thank her. smile.gif

Perry

Count us in on that one too Perry. Without a doubt - our lives are better for having known Jessi. But not only Jessi - but the entire Wirt County for showing the world how a community supports each other and honors one of their own. Jessi is not the only soldier they are supporting - there is also a young soldier that was injured in an accident stateside. He has a wife and family - and he is from Wirt County. Yet again - there was a prayer service for him when we were there and they have had several functions to raise money for his family. America could really learn many lessons from this small community - and Jessi too. They present themselves with dignity and morals that many in this world really need.

God bless Jessi - and all of Wirt County.

#13 Guest_mainzman_*

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:19 AM

I was watching TV waiting for my dinner to cook. I was changing the channels when one of the news stations showed some soldiers carrying someone down some stairs stairs. When I saw the pictures of her being rescued, I had no idea who Jessica Lynch was, but was fascinated by the events at the time.

#14 User is offline   bleu_dualhex 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2003 - 10:55 PM

I was putting on a movie for my little brother and when I turned on the TV, it was on CNN, and there was the breaking news. Thanks little brother, for wanting to watch a movie at the perfect time, or I wouldn't have known until a LOT later! Thank Jessica for giving me SO much, Good luck!
Love,
~patrioticqueen~ smile.gif

#15 User is offline   perilousgirl 

• Pip

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:15 AM

I think I was lying in bed, or something when I herd about the news on the radio

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users