Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Soldiers Honored For Work In Iraq

#1 User is offline   cody evans 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:47 AM

Recovering from a leg wound sustained when his unit -- the "Lost Convoy," which included Pfc. Jessica Lynch -- was ambushed March 23, Luten hobbled across the stage on crutches to receive his medal. Tucking a crutch under his arm, Luten smiled as he shook Bayh's hand and then snapped a crisp salute to Buskirk.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/8/0...3-7488-009.html

By Tim Evans
tim.evans@indystar.com
August 18, 2003

Deandra McGraw's T-shirt said it all.

"I love my brother," proclaimed the inscription over a picture of a young man in military fatigues.

She wasn't the only person at the Indiana State Fair on Sunday who shared that sentiment.

Family members of soldiers fighting in Operation Iraqi Freedom joined several hundred veterans and supporters for an emotion-packed -- and love-filled -- Veterans Day fair program.

McGraw's brother, Army Cpl. Damien Luten, was among 22 Hoosier heroes honored by Sen. Evan Bayh and Major General George Buskirk of the Indiana National Guard. The 24-year-old Luten, the first Hoosier wounded in Operation Iraqi Freedom, was presented a Purple Heart.

Recovering from a leg wound sustained when his unit -- the "Lost Convoy," which included Pfc. Jessica Lynch -- was ambushed March 23, Luten hobbled across the stage on crutches to receive his medal. Tucking a crutch under his arm, Luten smiled as he shook Bayh's hand and then snapped a crisp salute to Buskirk.

The 21 other honorees, who each received a Combat Infantry Badge, are members of the Indiana National Guard's 1st Battalion. The award is presented to soldiers who successfully completed their mission in a hostile environment for more than 30 days.

"These soldiers are among some of the bravest men and women in America," Bayh said.

Last week in Iraq and Kuwait, Buskirk presented similar awards to the other 1,200 members of the battalion, the first National Guard battalion in the country to be so honored since the Korean War more than 40 years ago. Buskirk explained the gap is due to the fact that full National Guard battalions have not been called for combat duty since the fighting in Korea.

"This is a unique page for Indiana history," he said. "You have no idea what a great job these men and women are doing for us over there."

The 21 soldiers at the fair Sunday returned to the states last week to participate in a leadership training program and will head back to the gulf in about two weeks.

The service men and women, like Sgt. Ralph Stiles of Tell City, took advantage of the stopover in Indianapolis to spend a little time with family and loved ones.

"This is the first time I've seen my kids since February," said Stiles, who hopes to complete his tour of duty in November.

"I got into Camp Atterbury on Saturday, and the reunion was really something. I miss them very much."

Fidgeting with a set of her father's dog tags she hasn't removed from her neck since Stiles was deployed in February, 11-year-old Brooke Stiles beamed as her father showed the Combat Infantry Badge to his father, Ralph Stiles Sr.

"He passed me up on honors a long time ago," said the elder Stiles, an Air Force veteran. "We're all very proud."

Those at the ceremony also took time to honor the 12 Hoosiers who have died in Operation Iraqi Freedom and the more than 730 Indiana soldiers still missing in action or unaccounted for from World War II, Korea and Vietnam.

"We will not rest well until they are returned or accounted for," said Buskirk.

Call Star reporter Tim Evans at 1-317-444-6204.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users