Jessica Lynch Forums: Jessica Former Roommate Is "honored". - Jessica Lynch Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jessica Former Roommate Is "honored". Local peak named for Lori Piestewa.

#1 User is offline   phntmstrngr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 19 April 2003 - 01:36 AM

From the Arizona Republic, Friday, 4-18-03

It's official: Squaw Peak now Piestewa Peak to honor Hopi soldier

Board votes 5-1 to replace 'Squaw' moniker
Robbie Sherwood
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 18, 2003 12:00 AM
Squaw Peak in north-central Phoenix will be renamed Piestewa Peak.

The State Board on Geographic and Historic Names waived its five-year waiting period and approved the change by a 5-1 vote Thursday before a cheering crowd after a four-hour hearing.
The board sided with dozens of supporters who said that the word "Squaw" is offensive and that the mountain should be renamed after Army Pfc. Lori Piestewa, pronounced py-ESS-tuh-wah. The Hopi from Tuba City was the first female American Indian soldier to be killed in combat.

How soon the new name will appear on maps remains uncertain. It could take five years for federal geographic naming authorities to consider the change and reprint official maps.

"For Arizona purposes, the name is now Piestewa Peak," said Tim Nelson, general counsel for Gov. Janet Napolitano, who argued for the change. "The confusing part is what happens now federally with our recommendation to change the name."

Worthy of honor

Nelson argued that a waiting period was not needed because the board had agreed more than five years ago that the name was offensive but just hadn't found an appropriate replacement. Piestewa, a mother of two who was killed in an ambush in Iraq, is worthy of the honor, Nelson said.

The board also recommended by the same 5-1 vote changing the Squaw Peak Freeway to the Lori Piestewa Freeway. The State Board of Transportation can now take up the matter and could officially approve the change by the end of May.

Retired Army Chaplain Caleb Johnson, a Hopi and friend of the Piestewa family, congratulated Napolitano on pressing for the name change, saying it took courage. He also said alternative ideas about naming a stadium or building after Piestewa in Tuba City were not appropriate.

"Those structures are not permanent, they can easily be torn down or destroyed," Johnson said. "But the peak will be here forever."

But Napolitano's insistence on the immediate name change also promises to shroud the board's decision in controversy. One member, Richard Pinkerton, resigned before the meeting in protest of what he called political pressure from Napolitano. Pinkerton's resignation letter said he would not "prostitute my integrity in the interest of satisfying a certain political venue."

And Board Chairman Tim Norton did not attend the meeting. Napolitano had asked him to resign last week when he initially refused to hear her petition for the name change.

Norton and Pinkerton were the board's two public members. In their absence, board member Lloyd Clark, a local historian and former Phoenix Gazette copy editor, was the only dissenting vote. He suggested the other board members, all state employees representing different agencies, were afraid of Napolitano.

"We are acting in haste," Clark said. "I am not a state employee so I have no fear. You are voting because your jobs depend on it."

Nelson said he knew of no political pressure put on the board by Napolitano. And board member Martin Pasqualetti, a geography professor at Arizona State University, strongly disagreed with Clark.

"I wouldn't care if the governor had made this proposal or a felon on death row made it, it is the right thing to do," he said.

A string of local politicians, including Phoenix Mayor Skip Rimsza and Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox, argued for the name change. But the most poignant pleas came from American Indians, who said the change would both honor a fallen hero and remove a demeaning smudge.

"Bureaucrats can become so wrapped up in their rules that they fail in their mission," said Jessie Thompson, a Navajo and member of the Navajo County Board of Supervisors. "Lori Piestewa honored this state with her life. Allow Arizona to honor her with this name."

San Carlos Reservation resident Loren Victor got a rueful laugh from the crowd when he told the board, "Native American people have been the recipients of many broken treaties over the years. Let's break one more and rename that thing today."

Political football

But others in the crowd accused Napolitano of using the emotional and divisive issue as a political football.

"Using her death as a political platform is just wrong, and the governor has no right," said James Malenfant of Phoenix. "I think (Piestewa) would be appalled, shocked and embarrassed by the political pandering that is going on. It cheapens her honor."

The U.S. Board of Geographic Names must approve any naming or renaming of any geographic area, but states and local governments are not bound by their decision, said Karen Wood, a spokeswoman with the U.S. Geological Survey in Reston, Va.

"If we don't pass something, it doesn't mean the state can't do it," she said. "But it won't be recognized by the federal government without the board's approval."

Wood said she was unaware of the federal policy ever being waived in special cases. The policy dates to 1981.

#2 User is offline   fastaljr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2003 - 09:31 AM

That's great news, I think that's a really nice way to honour Lori Piestewa and I'm sure that her family will be proud that she will not be forgotten but I'd be even better if there was some other official act too.

I'm not saying that there should be a special Lori Piestewa Day or anything although it may also be a nice tribute, just I think it's important that Lori, and the rest of the troops that gave their lives for their country should be honoured nationally as should our troops in the UK who also lost their lives.

#3 User is offline   Penny/Don 

• Pip

Posted 19 April 2003 - 02:13 PM

Here's the link to a wonderful tribute website in honor of Pfc Lori Piestewa a friend emailed me yesterday.
http://www.tsalagi-atsilvsgi.com/Navajo_Wa...rrior.html?1131

#4 User is offline   phntmstrngr 

• PipPip

Posted 20 April 2003 - 12:59 AM

Everyone seems to be missing the point of this original post. Lori’s memory is being used in the guise of honoring her. I'm sure Jessica would agree. Read the reply by phntmstrngr to “POW” in “Latest News on Jessica”, as well.

Phntmstrngr

#5 User is offline   Penny/Don 

• Pip

Posted 20 April 2003 - 02:18 AM

#6 User is offline   phntmstrngr 

• PipPip

Posted 20 April 2003 - 09:25 PM

The following story elaborates some details of Arizona Governor’s use of Lori Piestewa’s memory to garner political capitol.

Additional stories about fallen hero Lori Piestewa, the peak that now bears her name, and reports of coercion and disreputable behavior on the part of and/or on behalf of Arizona’s Governor can be found at these links/websites.

http://cgi.azstarnet.com/last7-cgi/webglim...?query=Piestewa The Arizona Daily Star

http://search.azcentral.com/search/?sub=&s...sp-s=0&sp-p=all The Arizona Republic

Arm-twisting before peak vote
Governor's aide pressured officials
Robbie Sherwood, Judy Nichols and Tom Zoellner
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 19, 2003 12:00 AM
More details on the political maneuvering behind the renaming of Squaw Peak emerged Friday as authorities began the task of finding new names for several other Valley places bearing the name "Squaw."

A top aide to Gov. Janet Napolitano acknowledged telephoning a high-ranking Phoenix police officer to put pressure on the chairman of the State Board on Geographic and Historic Names after he balked at changing Squaw Peak's name to Piestewa Peak.

Mario Diaz, a deputy chief of staff, said he called Detective Tim Norton's boss at the Police Department to complain that Norton was failing to uphold his duty by refusing to consider the name change. Norton has said he did uphold his duty by refusing to waive a customary five-year moratorium for the renaming of natural features.

"I'm the deputy chief of staff for boards and commissions, and when a board member doesn't comply with the policies and procedures, I think I have a right to ask that individual to resign, and in this case I did," Diaz said. "He (Norton) just absolutely refused to hear the matter."

Norton's supervisor did not intervene. The board voted 5-1 Thursday, with Norton absent, to rename Squaw Peak for fallen Arizona soldier Pfc. Lori Piestewa, a Hopi killed during the war in Iraq. The decision unleashed a storm of emotions Friday as many Arizonans backed the move and others expressed outrage.

Carol Holsinger, 59, of Glendale, said other Arizona soldiers killed in Iraq deserve to be honored as much as, or more than, Piestewa.

"Why her, because she's a Native American?" Holsinger asked. "Because we are pandering to women and minorities?"

Kathy and Karl Russell of North Phoenix said the decision was too big for a commission and should go to the voters. "Six people shouldn't be making a major decision like that. It should be put to voters. There are other servicemen out there who have died," said Kathy, 41.

More changes

Despite such sentiments, the wheels began turning Friday to rename a freeway, a city street and a park scattered at the base of the jagged, 2,608-foot Piestewa Peak.

The Phoenix Parks Board has set a May 22 meeting to consider changing the name of Squaw Peak Recreation Area, and board Chairman Jim Holway said support for that move appears unanimous. What remains uncertain is whether the city park will bear the name Piestewa or some other name to reflect other heroes, he said.

It seems likely that the State Transportation Board will rename the Squaw Peak Freeway to reflect the newly named Piestewa Peak, but it will require a public vote at a future meeting, said Matt Burdick, spokesman for the Arizona Department of Transportation.

"Our freeways are typically named after landmarks, like the Agua Fria, named after the river; Red Mountain, Santan, after the mountain range," Burdick said. "They're named after the place names, so if the place name changes, the freeway name probably will, too."

Renaming the freeway would not require federal approval because the Squaw Peak, or Arizona 51, is not a federal route.

Burdick said the department is surveying how many signs would need to be changed on the 14-mile freeway and the intersecting cross streets and what it would cost. Phoenix will have to replace 13 signs and one concrete marker bearing the name Squaw. The total cost has been estimated at $2,250.

The state has the naming authority over the mountain; the city governs the park.

Meanwhile, Norton said Friday that the Governor's Office made it clear his presence was not welcome, and the message given to him by Diaz was unambiguous.

"He said, 'You either resign (from the board) or we'll find a way to get rid of you,' " Norton told KTAR Radio on Friday in his first interview since the mountain was renamed.

Admits making call

Diaz acknowledged calling Assistant Chief Phil Ontiveros in an attempt to get Norton out of the way. Diaz added that he considers the matter closed. He also said he acted on his own initiative in calling Norton after hearing Napolitano express her displeasure over his intractability.

Napolitano spokeswoman Kris Mayes said the governor did not pressure the board to vote one way or the other. Mayes added that the governor is intent on creating a memorial to all of the fallen Arizona soldiers from the Iraq conflict but first wants input from the families, lawmakers and others.

Norton said he plans to lodge a complaint with the board over how the vote was taken because the board's bylaws say at least one of the two citizen members must be present for a vote. The other citizen member, Richard Pinkerton, resigned in protest before the meeting. The board's attorney ruled that the bylaws were not binding, so the other board members took a vote.

#7 User is offline   Patricia 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 April 2003 - 01:42 AM

Hey, what's the problem here??? It IS an honor. No matter what is behind the reason for doing it. Political gain??? That's what politicians do!
The only thing anyone should really be asking here is,'How does her family feel about it'? From what I've read, they like it. And they are the only ones that really matter.
This is how I see it...She deserves it. (no matter what motive is behind it) And it's a big, beautiful piece of nature. Something that will always be there. If people want to give Jessie cars, a vacation,whatever...good! The poor kid has gone through hell!! I'm sure the great majority of us on this site would love to do more for these people. And if we were politicians,wealthy...we would.But we're not,and we can't. So we take part in this. Sending well wishes.Heartfelt thoughts. And please, let's try not to speculate on how others feel about these things.Because we really don't know,do we?

#8 User is offline   phntmstrngr 

• PipPip

Posted 22 April 2003 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE (zacc1 @ Apr 21 2003, 01:42 AM)
Hey, what's the problem here??? It IS an honor. No matter what is behind the reason for doing it. Political gain??? That's what politicians do!

The problem, zacc1, is there is no honor in injustice.

Supporters of Barry Goldwater, who died May 29, 1998 and lived only a few miles from the newly renamed peak, have been waiting patiently for the five years to pass so that he may have a place, perhaps that peak, named for him. If you don't know who he was, he was 5 years old when AZ became a state, he served his country for 56 years as a soldier and statesman, including 30 years of service as U.S. Senator from AZ. He ran for President against Lyndon Johnson in 1964.

Does Lori Piestewa deserve that honor more than he? Does she deserve that honor more than the five other Arizonans who died in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Of course not. But, because she was a Hopi Indian woman, and the others were not, it was possible to gain politically by threatening to fire people who did not violate regulations, so that she could be "honored" and that is what our Governor did. If you still can't see the problem, it might be that you are part of the problem, son.
Phntmstrngr

#9 User is offline   Patricia 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2003 - 09:19 AM

Didn't mean to piss ya off there, Sparky. But you just switched directions. I read nothing in your other posts about Goldwater. I thought your problem was that renaming the peak was done for political gain and good press. As in, it's a dishonor to her and her memory. Now you're talking as if it's a dishonor to others. You even went so far as to say that Jessica Lynch wouldn't approve of this. (Do you know her well, or are you a mindreader?) Does Lori deserve it MORE than others? No, but she does desrve it.YES. Is it being done because she's Hopi? (And the first Native American female to die in combat?) Why not!!First off "SQUAW" is a demeaning term to most Native Americans anyway. Yes, Sen. Goldwater served his country and his state for many years. But what about the Native Americans?? YOU, as well as others, want to bring the idea forth that it's being done due to her ethnic heritage. A beautiful piece of Mother Earth is the perfect way to honor this woman. Why can't you just let it be. And fight to have EVERY fallen soldier honored? Once again,does she deserve it MORE?? No. But there has to be a first somewhere.
Let me ask you this...Have you done anything to have the others honored? You,yourself. Probably not. You wonder if I"M part of the problem?? If you want to find blame...look in the mirror. You don't ACT. You just REACT.
I hope the others from AZ are honored. And I'm sure they will be.As any and all of our fallen should be.But why just complain about the problem. Take it upon yourself to do something. One person CAN make a differance. At least set something in motion."A tiny ripple of hope", as RFK once said. Or, do you prefer to just sit back and do nothing but complain? A King of Prussia once said."Nothing resembles death more than idleness"

#10 User is offline   FIREMAN 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2003 - 03:36 PM

Personally, I thought it was a perfect way to honor Lori. I point out to those who bitch and moan about Squaw Peak being renamed one small little fact before you call the waaahhmbulance...YOU'RE ALIVE TO BITCH ABOUT IT!!

Lori DIED -- as did the other 507th members who didn't make it back, As Jessica most likely would have (had it not been for Mohammad) -- for her country. She’s the one who's six feet under now...and her two children will never get to grow up with her and share those special moments in their lives like Shoshana's child will.

Years from now, Jessica's name will be the one most remembered from all of the 507th who got caught in the ambush...if only because of the drama of her rescue. Soshana Johnson will be the next one -- because she was shown as a POW and made it back alive. Lori will be the last one inline, because she died.

Renaming the mountain is perfect way..and her children can look out and say "there's Mom's Mountain" and recall a young woman who paid the ultimate price for your right to bitch about the wrong things.

#11 User is offline   phntmstrngr 

• PipPip

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (zacc1 @ Apr 22 2003, 09:19 AM)
Didn't mean to piss ya off there, Sparky... et.al.

For zacc1

As I said, you are part of the problem. Replacing the name "Squaw" is an excuse. It's meaning isn't derogatory and offensive, it's usage is. However, the name could have been changed at any time, and, in fact, a change was requested, within the rules, twice before and turned down. There are more than 40 place names in Arizona with "Squaw" in them, changing one would have no significant effect.
You've ignored everything pertinent, to read just what you wanted to read. The points about equality, the points that being used is not being honored, the points about breaking the rules, all of it you ignored. The story of Goldwater was to illustrate the those points. You missed that, as well. You even took an expressed opinion and pretended it was stated as fact. When I wrote, "I'm sure, Jessica would agree." I did't pretend to know she would, just to believe she would. You only read that Lori Piestewa has her name put on a piece of ground and you call that "honor". Nearly everything in Iraq was named for Saddam Hussein. Would you call that an honor? There is no honor, where there is no justice.

You don't honor the memory of a fallen hero in that manner. An honor would have been to include her in a memorial with the others who fell beside her, perhaps near the anchor of the USS Arizona, standing in Patriots Park, outside the state capitol. An honor would have been to set her name with the other veteran heroes who have fought and died in all America's wars. An honor would have been to name something within the rules, a school, a library, or a ballpark, anything except a geographic place, after her. None of these things require unscrupulous, unethical, possibly illegal tactics, such as threatening people’s jobs, demanding resignations, or making a mockery of the State Board responsible for renaming a peak. You don't honor a hero by violating the principles she died fighting to preserve, principles like justice and equality. I don't object that she has a peak named for her. They can plan it now and then change the name in five years. I object strongly to how and why it came to be. It was not for honor but to gain favor for the Governor among women and Native Americans in time for the next election. That's why she couldn't wait five years.

One man may make a difference, but, not nearly the difference a multitude can make. And there are many in Arizona who know the difference between right and wrong and choose not to let wrong prevail. Work is being done to get the Board's vote overturned, at least until the five-year waiting period has passed. Efforts have begun to recall the Governor, though petitions cannot be filed until late June. We have a history of taking the trash out of the Governor's office. But, this Governor has the support of the liberal press, so it won't be easy.

This Governor has brought disrepute on the name of Lori Piestewa. There are those among us who want to see that rectified, so that Lori Piestewa’s name does not become synonymous with Napolitano’s treachery and injustice. Again, I'm sure Jessica, who was Lori's friend, would feel the same.

For Soprano84

It is interesting that you think the perfect way to honor a fallen hero is to trash principles she fought and died for, and ignore the comrades who fell with her, just so her name can be on that peak, in time for Governor Napolitano to benefit in the 2006 election. I'm certain her companions would feel differently. Then you have the audacity to describe my discourse on this abuse of government by our Governor as "BITCHING" You arrogant, ignorant, little third grader. Do you honestly believe any of those soldiers went over there to die so you or Lori Piestewa's children could find favor in seeing her name on some piece of ground? She, along with all the others, died to make sure that the travesty such as was perpetrated in Arizona, in her name, would not continue to be done in Iraq. What happened here was a despot forcing her will on the people to further her own political aspirations. Unfortunately for the despot, she was caught up in the moment and she couldn't see that her actions are having the opposite effect. When you grow up you may better understand that injustice and inequity are not long tolerated by a free people.

Phntmstrngr .

#12 User is offline   FIREMAN 

• Pip

Posted 23 April 2003 - 07:55 AM

My, my...who pissed in YOUR Cheerios this morning?

Frankly, if you're going to set up a memorial for a fallen soldier, why not something you can see for miles, instead of something you have to specifically seek out?

As far as the other fallen of the 507th (as well as other KIAs), that's for their local communities to decide on...If Shoshana had died, a memorial in El Paso would've been appropriate for her.

And your presumption about Jessica's feelings? Why don't we all wait and see about that, since she IS alive to comment (eventually, if she feels the need), and - unlike the rest of us - she DID know Lori.

I stand by my comments.

#13 User is offline   Patricia 

• Pip

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:48 AM

Hey,Soprano84...That opening line was great!!! I think I may have started something here.
phntmstrngr......You missed the bus again,pal. Rules are made to be broken. Laws Can be changed. Tell me,..what isthe point of that 5 year waiting period anyway?? Maybe THAT should be changed. And once again your speaking on behalf of others. In your first post on this, it stated, through a family friend, that they were happy about this move. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they knew Lori better than you. Or do you have something against Native Americans? To say "SQUAW" isn't demeaning..the usage of it is.....WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?!?!?! Do you feel the same way about "nigger"? "WOP"?? If ya look in any dictionary, the actual,original meaning is far differant from how they have been used. ( When Italians first started coming to this country, those that did not have documents were given a form. On that form it was stamped with "W.O.P." Meaning " Without Official Papers"). But the way it's been used, it's "usage" is far differant. So what the hell was your point???It's still demeaning!!! (By the way, I'm sicilian/sioux.Or, to put it a way for you to understand WOP/redskin)
So, what do you propose should be done? Take the name away?? Let's see,..give,or promise, the People something,..then take it away. Go back on your word....Yeah, THAT hasn't happened to often in thier history!
And the remark about all that is named after Hussein. And whether it's an "honor"...HE DID THAT HIMSELF!!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU??!!
Ya know, you did make some decent points (though none were valid).You really can't see the honor in this, can you?? That is very sad. Rules and laws can be changed. And what about those that walked out. The people that don't agree with this move? Did you ever stop to think that they are the ones that are not on the up and up? Who's pocket are they in?? Have you thought that they are not so noble themselves.
You don't bother to think of this from all angles. That's alright. I run into people like you all the time when I'm working. Of course, they're all in handcuffs. One thought always comes to mind with them,as with you...EMTY BARRELS MAKE THE MOST NOISE.

#14 User is offline   FIREMAN 

• Pip

Posted 23 April 2003 - 12:36 PM

Zac;

Hee hee...I got that line from a friend on the Drumcorpsplanet board...I almost spit my soda on the monitor screen when I read it!

WOP doesn't offend me...I'm 100% Sicilian (grandparents from the old'a country) best Italian joke I ever heard in my life combined 2 Italian slurs (PM me if you wanna hear it)

Sicilian/Sioux, huh? That still doesn't beat a friend of mine...half Mongolian, half Cheyenne...he blames the railroad for that one!

Back on the subject of memorials for a moment...there will certainly be memoeials at Ft. Bliss and in the 507th HQ as well...that happens at every military post. Those will be a little more intimate; meant for the cunsumption by those who work and serve there.

Piestewa (sp?) Peak, however, is a mroe public memorial, and I see nothing wrong with renaming the peak.

Think about this as well, as to why it took so long for the name to be changed (regardless of the reason)...in 8 years of cat rescue I sometimes held on to a perfectly wonderful and loving cat for months, showing it for adoption weekly with no results. Then, out of the blue, the absolute PERFECT owner comes along and the two bond right there in the store. It just hadn't been the right time yet.

The quote "allgood things come to those who wait" also applies to renaming Squaw Peak...I just wish it hadn't taken Lori's death to make it a reality.

#15 User is offline   phntmstrngr 

• PipPip

Posted 24 April 2003 - 12:28 AM

Soprano84
zacc1

Again, your twisted view of reality ignores the facts in favor of your own personnal view. So be it. This is an endless one-sided debate I don't intend to continue.

Phntmstrngr

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users