• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jessica Lynch To Visit Pullman

#1 User is offline   Liger 

• PipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

http://z6.invisionfr...hp?showtopic=77

HUNTINGTON -- Pullman Square is going to get a little patriotic come Thursday, Aug. 20.

As part of the weekly Heiner's Summer Concert Series at Pullman Square, Kindred Communications is welcoming a special guest, Jessica Lynch, the West Virginia prisoner of war who was rescued in April 2003 after being held captive in Iraq.

Lynch, who at age 19 was the first woman rescued as an American POW, will be introduced at the concert series, which starts at 7 p.m. and features the Angie Fletcher Band.

Lynch, who still lives in her native Wirt County, W.Va., will be at Empire Books and News from 5:30 to about 6:45 p.m. signing autographs, getting pictures made with folks and signing copies of the book "I am a Soldier Too, Jessica Lynch," written by Rick Bragg.

Now a student at West Virginia University at Parkersburg where she is majoring in elementary education, Lynch became known around the world when she was serving in Iraq as a supply clerk with the 507th Maintenance Company based in Fort Bliss, Texas.

On March 23, 2003, her unit was ambushed near Nasiriyah, a major crossing point over the Euphrates River northwest of Basra. Eleven other soldiers in her company were killed in the ambush.

Lynch, who was seriously injured and knocked unconscious when her vehicle crashed, woke up in an Iraqi hospital from which she was later rescued.

Bobby Nelson, host of Tri-State Talk that airs weekdays from 3 to 4 p.m. on WRVC-AM 930 and 94.1-FM, said the station is proud to host Lynch, who has had eight surgeries in her ongoing recovery from her injuries.

Lynch will be appearing on Tri-State Talk at 3 p.m. Thursday.

Nelson said Lynch boldly stood up and told the truth about her experience in Iraq, which got blown out of proportion by the military and the media.

Lynch testified in front of Congress on April 24, 2007, that she never fired her weapon and was knocked unconscious when her vehicle crashed. She woke up later in an Iraqi hospital.

During the Thursday visit, the public is asked to bring stuffed animals for Lynch's nonprofit group that gives the animals to kids of military members wounded in action.

"She spent a lot of time in hospitals and saw a lot of kids of these families," Nelson said. "She's got a big heart for kids."

#2 User is offline   Liger 

• PipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:43 AM

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Former Iraq Prisoner of War and West Virginia Native Jessica Lynch was in Huntington Thursday sharing her story.

In 2003 at just 19-years-old Lynch was taken prisoner after an ambush on her convoy, she was rescued in April of 2003.

Thursday night Lynch was at Empire Books in at Pullman Square in downtown Huntington meeting with supporters and signing copies of the book, “I’m a soldier too, Jessica Lynch”

The book is written by author Rick Bragg and delves into Lynch’s story.

Originally from Wirt County, Lynch says events like these help her to reach out to the public and other veterans, but it’s the kids who touch her heart the most.

“I love children I guess I connect more with them, meeting children who especially say my mommy or daddy was injured they in some way know me or whatever and that I guess touches me more than anything because I connect with them and I feel for them and they are children,” Lynch said.

Lynch added that she is just now getting used to all the attention she has received over the last six years, but still says the notoriety she receives is, "kind of weird."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users